Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Best pump shotgun for HD

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I believe he prefers an AR carbine to a shotgun. There are other threads where people discuss the merits of both.
    Probably. I can see a carbine as a better option. I think if someone laid a shotgun and a carbine on a table and said.......you're going to go to a gunfight in your house...pick one, I'd pick the carbine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Best pump shotgun for HD

I believe he prefers an AR carbine to a shotgun. There are other threads where people discuss the merits of both.
    Yes, but with regards to SGs, he prefers an auto-loader to a pump.

I have always held the opinion that a QUALITY auto-loading SG is a much better choice for defensive purposes than a pump SG.

Last edited by Ryno12; 12-26-16 at 22:33.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Probably. I can see a carbine as a better option. I think if someone laid a shotgun and a carbine on a table and said.......you're going to go to a gunfight in your house...pick one, I'd pick the carbine.
    Me too. But for the weekend warrior. Many would be better off with a SG. So they don't wipe out their own tribe.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I echo other experienced trainers opinions that shotguns in general are a specialty weapon that demands additional specialty training for competent self defense usage.

I don't mean standing in a doorway yelling at someone, but to run reliably, clear jams, clear rooms, and knowledge in load choices, spreads, aiming points and more.

For various reasons I have run a shotgun as a primary duty long gun for 20+ years and have sought out extra training and continually realize the extra work it takes over a pistol or carbine.

Dennis.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dennis; 12-27-16 at 01:01.

Feedback Score
    I prefer the pump shotgun for inside house home defense when loaded with reduce recoil Federal LE132 but that's just my opinion. If the need to defend my life or family was outside the home, my preference would be to have my AR.

I have owned a M2 in the past but still prefer the pump. I believe it allows you to use a wider range of ammo without the worry of not properly functioning in the autoloader. The Autoloaders recommend ammo loaded at a minimum FPS. This is just my thoughts based on my experience.

The decision to use a carbine or a SG is personal. If someone has familiarity and/or training only with the AR platform then that's what they should use. I have been fortunate to receive training on both SG and AR.

Just my humble opinion. It and two dollars will get you a cup of coffee at most places.
    Last edited by Kyjames; 12-27-16 at 09:40.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Some people have limited funds and can't afford to spend $800 on an AR-15, then another $100 to $200 to set it up for home defense. Others, like a few duck hunters and trap shooters I know, prefer shotguns for home defense, because they are familiar with them and have limited interest in other firearms. If you have limited experience with a shotgun, attend a course when you can afford it.

If you keep your eyes open, you can find a reasonably priced used shotgun. I picked up a police trade in Remington 870 with rifle sights in excellent condition for $186.38 out the door. Other People passed on it, because it had the initials of the police department name engraved on both sides of the receiver with a needle gun. Other than the needle gun marks, the finish on the wood and metal looked like new. I bought a 2 round magazine extension and a flashlight mount from Brownell's for another $70. I slipped on a M3 light I had on a Glock and adjusted the mount until the brightest part of the flashlight beam coincides with the center of the buckshot pattern at 21 feet.

It works very well and the backlight from the flashlight beam makes the iron sights easy to pick up quickly. If you train with the shotgun, it can be a very effective home defense firearm.

There is merit to using a different weapon for home defense. For those who prefer a carbine or handgun for home defense, buy one, get some formal training and practice with it frequently.
    That's what I did. Bought two Remington 870 pokice. Both came with extended tubes and together cost under $400.

I'm not much of a shotgun guy but I figured having one or two just in case wouldn't hurt

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Are you lobbying for autos?
    I am lobbying for an AR15 and then a pistol and then a sub gun and then an auto loading SG and then a pump SG.

I have watched too many skilled SG shooters short stroke SG's under stress to recommend them.

C4

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I read Dennis's post above and kind of reflected on the whole shotgun for HD deal. I think one of my biases is to the weapons I first became not just proficient, but truly advanced with. In order those would be revolver, pump shotgun pistol, SMG, semi-auto shotgun, AR. The order is largely because of the evolution of police firearms and my job as an instructor.

Shotgun is not so complicated as some would make it out to be, IF you are experienced; like any weapon the shotgun can get the inexperienced user injured or killed in a self-defense situation.

Rather than making a blanket hierarchy of weapons, numerous factors should be considered. Obviously a primary consideration should be the most likely environment for use. Lets skip that for a moment and go to proficiency.

With which weapon are you most proficient?

Be honest with yourself: if you bought an AR this year and have less than a 1,000 rounds down the barrel, but have hunted and shot skeet for several years, which are you most proficient with? If you've never hunted or owned a shotgun, but you were in the military, should you think shotgun or rifle? If you fire a lot more pistol rounds a year than you do anything else, should you choose something else as a home self-defense weapon? Consider those aspects as well as others when making your decision.

My choices for HD are pistol, then shotgun, then rifle. For several reasons:

1) a pistol with a weapon mounted light is easier to search with and retain;

2) I don't leave any weapons unsecured it is easier to securely store a pistol for rapid access than a rifle or shotgun. The pistols that we have secured for home defense are generic Glocks and Rugers (what can I say, it is my wife's old duty pistol) they would cost less than 500 each to replace. The shotguns, not counting my labor, would go out the door for about the same. Those pistols and shotgun are secured kid safe not burglar safe. Everything else lives in one of two locked gun safes. The one in our bedroom contains among other things, my SBR, and a generic 16'" AR, both have mags inserted, slings rubberbanded to stocks, self ejecting chamber indicators in place. They are for if zombies come.

3) In analyzing my abilities I looked at how fast I can fire first shot from the ready. For me it is pistol, shotgun then rifle. I also consider which of the three I can guarantee incapacitation with quickest. In my view that goes to the shotgun.

But, the shotgun is not as handy to hunt in the home with, so I would default to the handgun. If neither of the daughters were home, I would just stay in place with the shotgun, trying to be disinterested until the intruder gets to my location - I learned in the Infantry that the alert defender has the advantage over the attacker.

I skipped over environment initially, I'm not worried about shotgun, rifle rounds, or pistol rounds going through stuff in my home because of my homes construction and my ammunition choices. I am more concerned about a wad injuring an innocent if I would need to take a tight shot with a shotgun, I mitigate that by using brenneke slugs. I wouldn't shoot outside my home except to protect someone from great bodily harm, so, yeah if you want to break into my truck, have at it, I will watch as dispassionately as possible, while the police are enroute.

That is my decision matrix. Work from your knowledge base and develop your own.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 12-27-16 at 14:10.

Feedback Score
    Well said 26 Inf. You describe the situation and plan I work with. No childern home and will hole up in bedroom. I know how hard room clearing is and I have little desire to go it alone unless absolutely necessary. I have night lights placed in the house to cast shadows of someone down the hallway and requires them to look from a lighted area into a dark room.
    Last edited by Kyjames; 12-27-16 at 14:48.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Bravo 26 INF, that was a well thought out post.

The shotgun, especially the pump shotgun, has gained untold fame for being the most simple and effective manstopper in "hallway" distances. Those who lavish this praise on this weapons system have, IMO, little to no real world experience with it. It can be an incredibly deadly tool in well trained hands, but it can be one of the worst things in a gun fight for those who do not know it inside and out.

My agency has phased all lethal shotguns out (I just bought one of our last 870P's) because the AR15 carbine is simply more effective in the hands of an in-service trained cop. Our courts/transports unit wanted so badly to go to shotguns, and I railed against it. My main argument was this: active shooter with AK across courtyard engaging you. You have to do a slug changeover and hit bad guy under stress. Can you stop him more effectively than you can with an AR?

The same principles apply in your home.

I love my pump shotguns, and everybody should own a few, but if it is your go to gun, please learn the platform.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast