Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Discuss 9mm AR carbine as a go to

Feedback Score
    Back to the original subject of this thread. One thing to consider for "go-to" guns is reliability with cleaning/lubing. I've had most of my gun stuff in storage for the past two years, so I've been notoriously bad about cleaning my guns. I don't even track round counts at this point. I've even slacked on cleaning my carry gun. My carry G19 is dirty from the last time I shot it a month or so ago and I honestly don't remember when I last cleaned my 9mm AR. The last range trip, towards the end of the session, it started to have FTF malfunctions. After fussing with it a bit, and knowing we were over our time limit at the range, I shot a couple squirts of Ballistol through the ejection port and worked the bolt back and forth. That resolved the issue. I'm assuming that the fouling from shooting suppressed had overcome the lube from the last cleaning which prevented the bolt from fully engaging the round. The telling evidence of this was racking the charging handle and leaving the round in the chamber. Even slingshotting the bolt back home wouldn't always allow it to fire on the second try. I take full responsibility for not keeping it maintained, but I can't help but recognize that the mechanics of the 9mm are different enough from the self cleaning features of the 5.56 that it just won't go as long without maintenance & cleaning. As a recreational shooter, that's not a big deal to me, but it might be worth considering if you're using a similar build for a "go to" or defensive weapon.

In short, my experience is that my suppressed 9mm AR can't go as long as my 5.56 or suppressed 300BLK without cleaning & maintenance. YMMV.

Also, I fully plan to spend some quality time cleaning all of my guns in the next month or so when I get everything out of storage this weekend.

Feedback Score
    I have a tp9 sbr w/suppressor. It has the little micro acog on it.
    It will fit in my laptop bag, gun, suppressor (not mounted), and 4 or so 30rd mags. If I drop the suppressor out, I can put the gun in there with the 15rd mag inserted. Yes, the laptop and it's power cord also fit. The laptop is in a separate compartment, so if I open it to get the laptop out, say, sitting in Barnes and Noble cafe, no one would be able to see the gun.
    Bag looks a little full, but it doesn't print.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerw02 View Post
    I don't believe you're buddy is loading at $0.02. You can buys primers for that. Nor powder, bullets, etc as components for that. More realistically 0.12-0.14 if over the shelf. Maybe 0.06-0.08 for cast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You say that but when you're pounding out a thousand rounds a sitting, and your brass is free and so is your casting material, it's pretty low.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Primers are $40/1k. Powder is anywhere from $20-40 lb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jpoe88 View Post
    You say that but when you're pounding out a thousand rounds a sitting, and your brass is free and so is your casting material, it's pretty low.
    Where is he getting primers and powder for that? I've never bought primers for under $25/1000, which puts my primer cost at over $0.02 alone. Likewise I've never bought powder for under $25/lb. I think 1lb should get me about 625 rounds of 9mm, so at the cheapest, i'm at $0.06/rnd for just powder and primer. Your guy would have to be getting primers for $10/1000 and powder for $5/lb to get into the $0.026/rnd range. That seems a bit far fetched, even for someone that's basically doing manufacturer level loading.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wct097 View Post
    Where is he getting primers and powder for that? I've never bought primers for under $25/1000, which puts my primer cost at over $0.02 alone. Likewise I've never bought powder for under $25/lb. I think 1lb should get me about 625 rounds of 9mm, so at the cheapest, i'm at $0.06/rnd for just powder and primer. Your guy would have to be getting primers for $10/1000 and powder for $5/lb to get into the $0.026/rnd range. That seems a bit far fetched, even for someone that's basically doing manufacturer level loading.

Don't know. I believe a lot of supplies were bought on the used market as well. I guess maybe everyone isn't privy to the same deals but there's no denying that 9mm isn't cheap. I know he uses wheel weights for his cast stuff and he got a few 5 gallon buckets full for free.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    My personal costs for 9mm reloads are right about .10/ea. I buy in bulk, usually from midsouthshootersupply. Back about 6-12 months ago you could get S&B primers from $20/k from cabelas with $5 shipping plus hazmat to bring them to about $22/k shipped when I was buying 15-20k at a time. If you really want to save every little bit, you get the 8lb. kegs of Titegroup from midsouth, and shipped they can be as low as about $20/lb which is 1750 loaded 124 grain rounds at 4 grains each. I buy bullets from a local guy who coats them for $60/k, but if you are casting and not counting your time or lead cost (or you got it free), I could see loading for 3-4 cents per at today's bulk prices for powder and primers if you are casting yourself.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456