Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Discuss 9mm AR carbine as a go to

Feedback Score
    with a quality mag block (if you go that route versus a dedicated lower), quality barrel and bcg - a 9mm AR can be a very reliable setup.

it's not as sexy as a roller-locking or piston setup since it's direct blowback, but it's simple and effective.

i shoot mine suppressed which adds to the amount of cleanup necessary afterwards. it also brings a smile to my face every time i shoot it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by boss_hawg View Post
    with a quality mag block (if you go that route versus a dedicated lower), quality barrel and bcg - a 9mm AR can be a very reliable setup.

it's not as sexy as a roller-locking or piston setup since it's direct blowback, but it's simple and effective.

i shoot mine suppressed which adds to the amount of cleanup necessary afterwards. it also brings a smile to my face every time i shoot it.
    Looking at a KAK block. What's the 411 on buffer spring, buffer, and hammer?

I wonder how 147gr +p fly down 16" barrels

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think the big thing with 9mm is when you have it in SBR form. It can be a nice little package and has some advantages over very short 5.56 guns. As far as reliable the colt guns are, others had a reputation of being less but a lot more are in the game now. I remember years ago cheap mags and bad magblocks were where most of the issues were but I honestly haven't kept up with it.

Personally though I think a sig mpx is a good option if you want a gun with ar style controls. That's what I ended up with.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    If you want cheap practice, get a S&W M&P 15-22. If you want a 9mm carbine, Scorpion or MPX are much better options IMO. The only time I'd see a benefit of an AR9 is if you got one that worked with your handgun mags like Glocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    If you want cheap practice, get a S&W M&P 15-22. If you want a 9mm carbine, Scorpion or MPX are much better options IMO. The only time I'd see a benefit of an AR9 is if you got one that worked with your handgun mags like Glocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mine cost me way more because I got the Glock mag version. I had sold my last Glock years ago and suddenly I'm stocking Glock mags again. Might as well buy another Glock then...lol And here's another Glock 19 added to the club just because I have an abundance of mags for it now...

But I do like mine, it's been fun so far. Not sure what I'll use mine for besides plinking. I've considered using it in my next class but that all depends on if my barrel extension comes in soon. I figure I'm 3 months away on my suppressor being cleared...

Feedback Score

Discuss 9mm AR carbine as a go to

Quote Originally Posted by Jpoe88 View Post
    Looking at a KAK block. What's the 411 on buffer spring, buffer, and hammer?

I wonder how 147gr +p fly down 16" barrels
    i was burned by a cheaper mag block on an earlier build so i went with the hahn bottom insert magwell that has bolt hold open. i have no experience with the kak block so it may be fine. i use a cmmg 9mm buffer and a standard carbine spring. my bolt carrier is ramped so i use a standard hammer.

also, mines an sbr with a 5.5" barrel. 147gr (non +p) stays subsonic through my can.

the beauty of this setup is that i can swap the upper and shoot 5.56, 300, etc. and i only paid one tax stamp on the lower.

you can't do this with the sig mpx (though, i want one of those too!), or a dedicated colt/glock lower. you have to use the removable mag block, ramped bolt/standard hammer, and swap out the buffer to go to a other calibered uppers.

and before someone says it - yes i do realize that the hahn block is the cost of a tax stamp. but i did receive it from brownells in five days vs. five months on the atf stamp.
    Last edited by boss_hawg; 12-10-16 at 08:28.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I wish I could find a glock mag insert.

Maybe I'll part out this rifle and use what I can and be decent about a carbine build.

Compare the recoil to a 223?

Feedback Score
    I wish I could find a glock mag insert.

Maybe I'll part out this rifle and use what I can and be decent about a carbine build.

Compare the recoil to a 223?
    Me too on the glock insert. I don't think they are made because I haven't seen one while browsing the interwebz. If anyone knows of a mfg/seller of one, please let us know!

Recoil is light like with .223 but it's different because the powder burns differently from a pistol round and the bullet moves at a slower speed. It's more of a "push" than a "snap" like a rifle round. That's a subjective description for sure.

A 9mm carbine made a lot of sense for me because I had a carbine suppressor laying around. If I were not in the NFA game with this can and a SBR, I'm not sure that I would see the same value in having it around other than a range toy.

For what it's worth, mine has been perfectly reliable with the exception of some underpowered off-brand 115gr ammo. All 147gr and name brand 115-125 grain have been 100%.

I can post a parts list if anyone is interested.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How practical is a 9mm rifle? Intended use is training and trunk or truck gun. I'd like to do something budget friendly but still run. What I need is a barrel, bcg, adapter blocks and mags.

Discuss please!
    The PCC is making a comeback, due to service gun swaps back into 9mm, rise in popularity in the gun games, and ever expanding options for the system. And while not widespread, there's a bit of displacement of .223/5.56 carbines for PCCs. All that's old is new again.

I like the PCC in gun games as a training analog to .223/5.56 carbine use elsewhere.

All valid points. My buddy is reloading 9mm at .02/rd. But again that's not me
    The 9mm reloads I see on ranges at that price point sometimes work, but mostly belch clouds of black smoke between stoppages. How are your buddy's?
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    I will say this on PCC, we have one elite unit in the IDF, that uses 9mm M16 for when they need to use a suppressed weapon.

I also carried either a mini or micro Uzi sometimes off duty or for certain missions.

Does it have the stopping power of a 5.56 rifle, of course not but I never worried about it. It was a lot better going to a wedding with my micro Uzi in a bag that a rifle over my shoulder.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast