Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 gauge slug vs modern body armor......who wins?

Feedback Score

12 gauge slug vs modern body armor......who wins?

I realize that a slug won't penetrate the Level III and IV plates, but will the sheer mass of the projectile put the person wearing the armor out of action? I've read that while it doesn't punch through, it will concave the plate enough to cause internal damage. True?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Not true.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It would probably hurt.

LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have tested with a basic Level 3A vest hung over a 2x4 and backed by 1/2 Plywood. The vest held the slug but broke thru the Plywood and caved in 3.5-4". Draw your own conclusion from there.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'm guessing it would hurt as much as the recoil from a 12g slug, but spread over the surface of the plate. So not that much.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    If you're going to test it out you need some clay or a pig carcass to simulate the human body. Otherwise you can get over penetration. You also can't tell blunt force trauma without the clay.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    I'm guessing it would hurt as much as the recoil from a 12g slug, but spread over the surface of the plate. So not that much.
    Your logic is very faulted. So a rifle bullet hitting an object is the same as the recoil the shooter feels? Basic Winchester Super X 2 3/4" has over 2400 ft/lbs at the muzzle and over 1100ft/lbs at 50 yards. 3" is over 3k and 1600.

I agree a pig carcass would be best but someone hit by a slug with a vest would be seriously disabled.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I spoke with an officer that was shot in the chest by one of Chicago's finer residents. The officer was wearing soft body armor. He was struck with a .380 near the heart. He was hospitalized for several days due to briusing of the heart. The photos showed some nasty briuses on his chest as well. His injuries were much more severe than I thought one would experience.

This occured about 20 years ago. I have no idea what vest he was wearing.

A 12g would likely cause some pretty bad injuries even if the vest were to stop the projectile.
    Last edited by signal4l; 12-10-16 at 20:46.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've been present for the shooting of a perp with a 12ga reduced recoil slug and also seen a wound behind a 3A soft vest of a 12ga Remington 1oz std velocity slug.

The vest wearer sustained significant bruising, broken ribs, and a broken sternum. Significant internal bruising from the backface deformation. Also a punctured lung from the broken ribs. But the slug was technically stopped by the vest.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    Plates and soft armor are not the same.

A test is the only way to know, and it depends on how much deformation of the plate (steel) or how much energy is left after breaking the plate (ceramic).

Quote Originally Posted by Ripdog33 View Post
    Your logic is very faulted. So a rifle bullet hitting an object is the same as the recoil the shooter feels? Basic Winchester Super X 2 3/4" has over 2400 ft/lbs at the muzzle and over 1100ft/lbs at 50 yards. 3" is over 3k and 1600.

I agree a pig carcass would be best but someone hit by a slug with a vest would be seriously disabled.
    The momentum is the same, it wouldn't be exact, but the same momentum (practically speaking) is on both sides.

The reason people get hurt with soft armor is surface area. A plate spreads out the surface area and absorbs more energy than soft armor does.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 12-10-16 at 21:32.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast