Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 12 gauge slug vs modern body armor......who wins?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    It's not logic, it's physics. The total force felt in recoil of a single shot weapon is the same as the force of the projectile at the muzzle (minus some escaping gasses). The shooter feels this force over a tiny amount of extra time (time between powder ignition and the projectile leaving the muzzle) and over a larger surface area (various grips and the stock).

The receiver feels this force minus some air resistance nearly instantly, but spread over a large area (area of the plate). It likely will be noticed, but not likely cause any damage.
    This does not stand up to actual physics. Taking your equation deeper, you're telling me that if I shove you with my closed fist at a force total over time of 200#, over 2 seconds, it is the same as a 200# KE transfer from a jab or punch.

We both know this to be untrue.

Thus, you are comparing recoil of a rifle, or shotgun, which happens at a dozen or two fps, (they make calculator that shows this ) to the diminishing lf energy of the slug, which happens at 1000 plus fps.

It may be the same total kinetic force, but the miniscule time it's delivered over makes it nasty.

It's not the fall that kills...it's the stop!
    Last edited by WS6; 07-26-17 at 22:05.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123