Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: dillan auto powder dumper for different press?

Feedback Score

dillan auto powder dumper for different press?

I'll start by saying, I'm fairly tight for funds.

That being said, I was given a Dillon powder measurer (like on 550's and up). Its an older model. I thought it was an RCBS because of its being green.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/dill...120_23599.html

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision.../dp/B003BWTF1E

I'm looking at the Lee 4 hole turret press. I'm not terribly interested in it for auto loading but more as a manual turret.
    The Lee disk system seems to have some issues with finding small charges and you have to swap disks. With this, its a screw turn to adjust.

Do any of yall think this is feasible? I cant see why not.

Thanks for your time.
    PSA 16" Midlength 5.56 NATO 1/7 Phosphate MOE Freedom Rifle
    PSA 18" Rifle length 223 wylde 1/7 (nitride) midwest light free float m mod. 3x9 Nikon.
    '65 Win Mod 70 3006
    GEW88 1890 AMBERG

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    How old is that Dillon. I have never seen a Green Dillon. My Dillon stuff has to be going on 20 years.

Not that that is big deal, just curios.

If I were you and you can't get a 550. Get a single stage press. Like Lyman. Then you buy nice dies, you don't need to spend money on all manner of extras. Just do one thing at a time. In fact, if I didn't have any money, I would consider selling the powder measure for a scale. You can dump powder by hand but you always will need to weigh it.

If you have access to some scrap wood and a drill press. Lay out a grid and drill 100 holes that are just larger than your caliber as a shell holder.

So you clean, deprime, resize and set your shells in that block. Powder by hand. Place bullet and seat. --- that's the short hand pistol version anyway.

IOW, price out the quality parts and then decide which one's can be substituted by time or maybe a friend. You have -got- to have a scale... unless of course you're a thrill seeker.

You can get little hand tools for for priming, cleaning primer pockets. You have to have a set of dies.

Post WTB ads in the EE. A lot of what you need people may be wiling to part with if they knew someone wanted it and could get some use from it.

That's just my 5 cents. On a budget and safety / quality in mind. I want a good scale. A good set of dies. A functional press of required quality as cheap as I could get. A powder measure and all that other mess doesn't even get a thought.

ETA: forgot to answer your question.

Do any of yall think this is feasible?
    Sure, but your lead was finances. It's feasible but not necessarily financially practical.
    Last edited by tb-av; 12-10-16 at 22:27.

Feedback Score
    I've got a chucker that i've used for 20 plus years. I just wanted something a bit faster. Loading for AR and pistols. If the accuracy isnt any good with the ar, it'll still speed up my pistol stuff.
    I've got an old ohaus scale but i'm getting a digital for Yule. I do fully process my rifle stuff. Trim, deburr and the works. Hand prime as well. RCBS dies (about as old as the press lol).

Not a bad idea on checking the pages for used stuff. If theyre 100 bucks or so new, might be half or so used. Not a bad gamble.

I just now looked at the dillon prices. Been a while.

They have a turret for just over 2bills. I have the dumper. This might be the better way to go. I can save up the extra.

The 2nd AR i'm building might just have to wait. All about choices i guess.

Thanks for the prod in the right direction.
    PSA 18" Rifle length 223 wylde 1/7 (nitride) midwest light free float m mod. 3x9 Nikon.
    '65 Win Mod 70 3006
    GEW88 1890 AMBERG

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Oh!... ok,,, my bad... I thought you meant you were just wanting to start.

I'm still kind of a buy a mutt and enjoy every second of wearing it out or save up your coins and buy a quality piece that you can resell if you decide to get out of the game. A finicky piece of reloading gear would test my nerves in about 30 minutes on a good day.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Lee's Classic Cast Turret is one example where Lee out did themselves--meaning that it's well made and highly functional. The Lee measure using discs works also. Using a drill you can open up a smaller hole to throw the desired charge, or you can install a set screw in the side of a larger hole and screw it in or out to adjust charge. I'm referring to the Lee Auto disc measure. Lee dies include a powder through expander die which allows neck expanding and powder dumping at the same time. There are two turret presses; the Classic Cast is the better made one. Also, the Auto Disc measure is made in two versions; I suggest the slightly more expensive one.

Before you buy anything, pm me. I maybe able to assist you to start reloading with good equipment and do so inexpensively. Once I tutored one of our famous forum members who then became an accomplished precision hand loader and precision rifle shooter. He managed this feat with basic equipment on a 1950s Lachmillar press that many would consider obsolete.
    Last edited by williejc; 12-11-16 at 14:49.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wrote my reply as if you were starting reloading. I still will be happy to offer assistance and may have an item or two around here that would help you accomplish your goal.

Feedback Score
    Feasible? Yes.

A good idea? No.

I hate to be the guy that says "Just suck it up and buy a Dillon RL550B," but I do think that's the correct answer.

FWIW, if you're already reloading, and you already have dies and components and gauges and a scale and all the other rigamarole (even a powder measure), then you only need a new press, and that alone isn't that expensive.

Feedback Score
    Are you asking if you can put a dillon powder charger on a Lee press?
    Sort of. Yes, you could buy the powder die, and screw it in. But, the Lee is designed to be pushed up by the case going into the die. The dillon has the linkage. So, the dillon may be able to be pushed up like the Lee, but it's larger and heavier, I think you'd have a hard time not putting way too much bell on the case mouth.

You know, Lee has a screw adjustable bushing that replaces the disks.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah. There's a bar that goes into the dillon powder measure that won't be there on another press. It could work, but it'd be more of an ass ache than it'd be worth.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Williejc, Thanks for the offer of mentorship! Regardless of how long i've been doing this (20 plus years), I'll NEVER turn down advice from some one more experienced.
    Thank you sir!

I am still flip flopping on this one. Too many folks are talking too good about it.

I"m just curious if it will give the possibility of MOA loads (if i do my part) for rifle. Since i'm not a IPSC guy, i dont worry too much about keeping 4" groups at 50 yds lol.
    '65 Win Mod 70 3006
    GEW88 1890 AMBERG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast