Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: dillan auto powder dumper for different press?

Feedback Score
    Looking at the way mine works, it has a metal funnel that when you push it up, it operates the slide.
    It does have the linkage as well for the 550 or 650.
    PSA 16" Midlength 5.56 NATO 1/7 Phosphate MOE Freedom Rifle
    PSA 18" Rifle length 223 wylde 1/7 (nitride) midwest light free float m mod. 3x9 Nikon.
    '65 Win Mod 70 3006
    GEW88 1890 AMBERG

Feedback Score
    While i dont mind some of the "heavier built" pieces that Lee makes, some of their stuff just kinda looks weak.
    I saw the adjuster bar you mentioned. I just want something that will reliably give me exact to .1 of grain (better if possible) accuracy.
    PSA 18" Rifle length 223 wylde 1/7 (nitride) midwest light free float m mod. 3x9 Nikon.
    '65 Win Mod 70 3006
    GEW88 1890 AMBERG

Feedback Score
    If you want better than 1/10th of a grain, you should just skip the charger, and use a trickler.

I have a Lee screw adjustable bar I bought whenever it was they came out with it, other than rub marks, like the discs get, it shows no wear, no loss of accuracy.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    YES!!!!

I finally got time to set up the dumper. Rock solid.

I read on an old site where 1000 yd guys were doing this. They do all the usual hand prep to the brass, hand prime, and seat. To speed up the process, they have one of these dillon dumpers in another press. I"m using a Lee C press that i usually set up for decapping and sizing.

There is no need for all the rods and so forth. The casing push's the funnel tube up and that actuates the rest.

After about 5 minutes of adjusting, I was throwing AA2520 at 24gr like a champ. I only used that because it was on my bench.

I hope this helps someone.

Thanks for all the input.

That 100 bucks i was gonna dump on a turret press, is half way to a new AR upper!
    '65 Win Mod 70 3006
    GEW88 1890 AMBERG

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Mike View Post
    There is no need for all the rods and so forth.
    There is when the powder measure starts getting dirty and sticking. But as long as you watch that the powder bar is making a full cycle back and fourth, EVERY time, you'll be ok.

I've had these things stick plenty of times. The linkage ensures that the bar goes all the way back to give you a full powder charge.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I have it set that i have to do a full swing on the handle. It bottoms out on the edge of my bench. This will allow me to keep my accuracy with the single stage but ramp up the speed with a reliable dumper.
    My old Hornady rotor type (and my other RCBS rotor) never gave me reliable dumps. I spent most of my time on the scales. Granted. I am a bit picky on keeping my numbers true. IF there is an accuracy issue,
    I want to know its me and not the ammo.

I can dump a tray of 50 rounds, check at the 10's, and then visually inspect the cases to ensure no squib loads. When my case prep is done, i should be able to make
    at least a round a minute. I think more but i'm being conservative.

I really appreciate all the input here folks.
    '65 Win Mod 70 3006
    GEW88 1890 AMBERG

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Mike View Post
    I have it set that i have to do a full swing on the handle.
    I understand that. What I'm saying is that these powder meters can clog/jam on the down stroke. just something to watch for.

I can dump a tray of 50 rounds, check at the 10's, and then visually inspect the cases to ensure no squib loads.
    If you can see the bar working full cycles, there's no need to check the weights a bunch of times. I set a light overhead so that I can see the charges. It's easy to see consistent charges.... or when you've run out of powder, or if you get an odd piece of brass that has a noticeably lower internal case volume.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Ah. Understood. Thanks for the heads up.

New to using a dumper as a "precision" tool. Ive been dumping "close" and trickling. Pistol was just a dump at mid pressure.
    Still learning even after this long lol!
    '65 Win Mod 70 3006
    GEW88 1890 AMBERG

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I run the Dillon powder measure for our .223 precision loads. It works pretty good.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I run the Dillon powder measure for our .223 precision loads. It works pretty good.
    Yup,
    Polishing the metal bottom to a mirror like finish and using the micrometer charge bar is the ticket.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast