Thread: Training with Heavier Rifle Good Idea?

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)

Training with Heavier Rifle Good Idea?

I haven't seen this get mentioned, but has anyone considered training with a slightly heavier rifle?

To preface this I want to say that while many only have one rifle, I know some people have "trainer" or "beater" rifles they use for classes, drills, training &c.. Then they have a separate "go to" rifle that usually stays mostly unused waiting for the day that it really has to get used.

Now as far as these training/beater guns go, I always figured that having as close of a set up to your primary rifle would be the smartest way to go about (ie train like you fight).

Would there be any benefit to purposely setting up a training rifle to be heavier in weight than the primary? For example, having a thicker profiled barrel with a heavier rail set up on an AR, when your primary is a LW barrel configuration. In a sense making shooting, performing drills with the primary easier?

It's just an idea I got when target shooting offhand. I went from shooting a VEPR AK to an SGL; to any one familiar with AK's it is about a pound of difference. Not to be captain obvious here but going to the lighter rifle made going through the full 30 rounds much less fatigueing.

Sort of the same logic as running with ankle weights if it makes any sense.

Feedback Score
    First thing I thought of was warming up with a weighted baseball bat, but I think in this case the extra weight would be fatiguing and draw down on your effectiveness to train properly.

Quote Originally Posted by w3453l View Post
    Sort of the same logic as running with ankle weights if it makes any sense.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    Just do weight training that strengthen the muscles used when training, that's what I do. Might be good topic for Will to address.
    Last edited by P2Vaircrewman; 12-14-16 at 10:11.

Feedback Score
    During my revolver/pistol competition years, I would do one specific exercise that helped me for the up to eight events I competed in for the day. I am curious as to specific exercises I could do to help with shooting my AR's. I just turned 66 so I have to take that into consideration. I'm not muscular so would have to take it one step at a time.

Feedback Score
    Keep workout separate. A heavier rifle will be easier to shoot offhand than a light rifle, and while I wouldn't say it might have a negative impact, it would possibly be different.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    Just do weight training that strengthen the muscles used when training, that's what I do. Might be good topic for Will to address.
    Do this. More specifically, make your whole body stronger. It'll help to make going through 30 rounds less fatiguing.

Best to keep your training rifle and go-to rifle the same, including weight. If you're used to bringing up a heavier rifle and then go to use a lighter rifle, it will feel awkward.