Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stainless tumbling vs ultrasonic cleaning

Feedback Score

Stainless tumbling vs ultrasonic cleaning

Currently I use a vibratory tumbler to tumble in corn cob. I'm almost ready to upgrade to something faster and something that does a better job. Currently I tumble for 12 hours and still see a good amount of stuff left on the brass.

It seems most advocated here is the stainless media wet tumbling method. Is there an advantage to this vs ultrasonic cleaning? Has anyone here done both? I'm interested in ultrasonic cleaning over stainless tumbling because you can skip the step of separating the stainless media, and can skip the steps of closing and un-closing the tumbler. Ultrasonic cleaning seems to be a little easier/faster unless I am missing something.

I only reload small batches with an OCD focus on precision. I reload 100-200 223 rounds at a time. As a bonus, I live in AZ so drying brass is not an issue. Especially this summer...envision 110 degrees and 5% humidity. It is so dry here you can feel it.

Any input is appreciated.

Feedback Score
    I have just started stainless tumbling (Frankford Arsenal) 9mm. I found the process to be a little more time consuming require a couple of 5 gal buckets to recover and sort stainless media from brass. Used the Frankford magnet accessory. I used a dillion dry media tumbler to do a sort of the stainless media from brass after initial separation. The key issue in time is sorting the stainless media from the brass and drying both brass and stainless media. I am located in SC so it is pretty humid this time of year. I used an old crock pot to dry the stainless media and the brass. I intend to acquire a brass dryer from Frankford Arsenal for the next batch.

I use to use a dry cob vibratory cleaner which left a lot of dust on the brass and seemed to sometimes retain a piece of media residue in the brass cases. I have thousands of rounds cleaned using this method.

Over all I feel that the end product of shiny clean brass with no dust residue is worth the extra time effort involved in wet tumbling. Bear in mind this is the first batch I have processed, thus I may become more efficient.

In short I find the wet tumbling to be superior to dry media. I have no experience with ultrasonic cleaners.

Feedback Score
    OP... if sorting SS media is your main issue, you can leave it out. You can wet tumble with just water and a little dish soap and it will still come out clean.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    12hrs is forever. I'd try a different media such as walnut with some Nu-Finish or something. I tumble for 4-5 hours and my brass is like new.

I like the idea behind SS wet tumbling but it seems like a lot of extra work. If you're only doing a few hundred maybe it's no big deal. I like my brass clean but it doesn't have to be perfect, it has to shoot perfect. That's far more important to me.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    I know the question is about something "different" but SS/Ultrasonic cleaning is to much screwing around for me,,yuk ! I know it works awesome and have a couple buddies that use the SS and love it and I understand your concern,but dam 12 hours !!! I have never tumbled anything that long,,good lord ! Quick tip before you go to the expense of buying all new tumbling equip. Go buy a New jug of both the Green treated corn cob and a jug of the Red walnut,mix 2/3 green with 1/3 red. Give it a try,cuts time waaaaaay down and lasts a very long time. I will admit my concern for pristine factory new looking brass is one of my last concerns I tumble just enough to take the grime off and lube after sizing,but I will also say that using this mix will make your brass look like new in short order. It will not get the primer pocket but on pistol cases I could care less on rifle stuff I always check and clean only my presicion stuff,general rifle brass same as pistol,,good enough !

Feedback Score
    Thanks,I might try different media if it makes a big difference. Here is what 12 hours on corn cob got me. Brass has been fired 3 times. Always suppressed so brass is filthy
    Last edited by P2000; 05-15-16 at 18:34. Reason: Added better pic

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    WOW,,I see what ya mean,,that looks pretty crappy still but it would be good enough for me,,LOL I say give it a shot,I have a buddy that loads over 50K a year in 9mm/45acp and a few others, he is the one that told me about the "mix" & I have used it for several years now. I really think its a great compromise and really works great ! I think you will be impressed. I will admit that I love to reload and have done it for years but refuse to do/use anything that creates another step,,even though the end results are very positive,,LOL

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Are you using a polish, or just raw corn corb?

I use Walnut and this, and after 12hr the brass is almost white.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/816...KTMaAuzU8P8HAQ

Feedback Score
    I have some Dillon polish that I use sometimes. I'm not sure if it makes a difference in getting the dark spots off, but it does make the cases shiney. Usually I just use raw corn cob.

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2000 View Post
    I have some Dillon polish that I use sometimes. I'm not sure if it makes a difference in getting the dark spots off, but it does make the cases shiney. Usually I just use raw corn cob.
    I would say that the raw corn cob is part of the issue maybe,,I would use at least the Lyman treated corn cob,,that should work better for ya.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast