Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Omega 7.62 Questions and Thoughts

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Omega 7.62 Questions and Thoughts

Hey all,

So after 8 months of waiting on the stamp for my first suppressor and a further month or so before I got to shoot it (sucessfully), I have to say the Omega 7.62 exceeded my expectations. I went with the 7.62 for 308 bolt gun and 5.56 AR use. Backing up a little, the suppressor came in the day before I was due to go out of town for 8 days. A little frustrating to say the least but I was happy to finally have it in my hands. Around 10 or so days later, I got out to shoot it with my 308. No AR at that point as I needed to pick up some shims to time the Specwar brake. At the range, I shot one 5 round group unsuppressed so I could see the impact shift. Pop the can on, snug her down, line up behind the rifle, cross hair on target, pull trigger.....BOOOOOM! I feel something hit he side of my head as I'm thinking that isn't a good sign. Looking down the scope I can see the can bouncing down the range about 50 yards away! I know this definitely isn't good! Unfortunately, no video was taken and I forgot to snap pics of the mess the round made of the baffles. In the lower portion of the baffles it almost seemed like there was dual set of gouges starting maybe 2/3rd's into the can? I am guessing what hit me in the side of the head was crap from the baffles. A small scrape only but still a reminder of how things can go pear shaped in a hurry.

With tail between legs, I call Silencerco and they were nothing but first class. The suppressor was shipped back to them the Monday before thanksgiving and I had it back the following Monday. Pretty swift for coming up on a holiday weekend I thought. They re-cored the suppressor completely, replaced the end cap and refinished the exterior to clean up the scuffs from it's enforced journey down the range. At Silencerco's recommendation the bolt gun went back to the gunsmith who threaded the barrel to check everything out. Still waiting on that btw.

Back to the present, I found a moment to time the Specwar for my AR, a 16" BCM SS410. Earlier on Monday I managed to shoot without any catastrophic failures Started at 100yds, 5 rounds unsuppressed, hitting about an inch high of POA. 5 rounds suppressed came in an inch lower with no lateral shift. Interesting thing was I saw no real increase in FPS. I was shooting Hornady 75gr on 24gr Varget, loaded to mag length with Remington 6 1/2 primers. Unsuppressed was 2724fps, suppressed 2734fps average. Is this typical? I then moved out to 400 yards and put 5 rounds into 6 inches or so. It seemed like POI shifted to the right but vertically everything was where it should have been. Going back to 200 yards, I made my best group of the day with some 69gr Gold Medal Match I had leftover in my bag, measuring .912" or .435 moa. This is actually the best group I ever shot with this rifle so I was more than happy at that point. I wanted to go back to 300 yards to confirm impact at that range but ran out of time.

Other thoughts are that I was surprised at not needing ear pro. First shot I had ears on, after that I shot with no ears. I see people talk on forums about being underwhelmed by suppressed shooting with an AR. I found the sound level very comfortable with the 16" barrel. I'm sure with an SBR that will change but is my experience typical and did I read wrong? The other interesting thing I saw was my brass ending up at 2 o'clock. Unsupressed it has always thrown it at 4 o'oclock. For further detail, it has an A5 setup with an A5H2 buffer IIRC. Any insight on that? Tbh, I am not sure what I was expecting but at times it almost seemed to bounce down on to the bench at almost 3 o'clock before ending in the dirt at 2 o'clock.

All in all, I'm glad I made the effort go with a suppressor and I'm really looking forward to see how it works with 308. A bit long winded so thanks for reading if you are still here and for any insights you can provide. I'll throw up some pics when I get a chance.

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    So on the .308 we're you running the ASR mount?

If so were you sure that you had it screwed ALL the way down and the ring locked?

I have read a lot of reports of the Omega flying down range and it always come back to not being installed correctly. If the gunsmith threaded your barrel I would be checking with him how the threads are off and caused a baffle strike.

SilencerCo is great but they won't keep fixing your can of it continues to be launched downrange.

All that being said I'm about 5 months in waiting for my Omega and I can't wait. I will be running in from an ASR brake on a custom 6.5 creedmoor. I hope to god I don't have any problems with the threads or alignment issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I would try an AH3 buffer.
    "When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    So on the .308 we're you running the ASR mount?

If so were you sure that you had it screwed ALL the way down and the ring locked?

I have read a lot of reports of the Omega flying down range and it always come back to not being installed correctly. If the gunsmith threaded your barrel I would be checking with him how the threads are off and caused a baffle strike.

SilencerCo is great but they won't keep fixing your can of it continues to be launched downrange.

All that being said I'm about 5 months in waiting for my Omega and I can't wait. I will be running in from an ASR brake on a custom 6.5 creedmoor. I hope to god I don't have any problems with the threads or alignment issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, it was the ASR mount. Tbh, I hope it was an error on my part and not misaligned threads as it's an easier fix. While I'm sure I mounted correctly, anything is possible. Hopefully you won't have my experience but good to know Silencerco will take care of you at least once if you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by domestique View Post
    I would try an AH3 buffer.
    Thanks, I'll look into that.

Feedback Score
    Suppressor alignment rod. 2nd the heavier buffer, and no suppressed 223 is hearing safe. It will add to your tinnitus.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by t15 View Post
    Suppressor alignment rod. 2nd the heavier buffer, and no suppressed 223 is hearing safe. It will add to your tinnitus.
    I looked at the Geissele rod which I may pick up. The gunsmith has them but wouldn't hurt to have one. Noted on the hearing safe levels. I'll use foam earbuds going forward.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Just making sure you are talking about the Alignment Gauges and not the reaction rod. The reaction rod is for installing muzzle devices, not checking suppressor alignment. In theory barrel nuts too but they made a Super Reaction rod so I only use the regular for torqueing muzzle devices. Gauges: https://geissele.com/accessories/sup...ment-gage.html

Was nice of silencerco to fix your can after you blew it off.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Correct, the suppressor alignment gauge although I could certainly use both. If you read the Silencerco warranty on the website, I think it says "we'll even fix stupid. once". Given the way they handled things, they'll definitely get more of my money in the future.

A thread is always better with pics:

100yards unsuppressed

100yards suppressed

400yards, was actually a bit better the 6" I thought

Last edited by Vegas; 12-15-16 at 03:03.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Update: just heard back from the shop that did the threads on the Remington 700. A picture is worth a thousand words so it is said:

That's the Geissele rod, didn't pass both ways apparently. The shop says the threads and brake install are good and to contact Remington to have them inspect the barrel. Have to say I'm a little perplexed but will get the rifle back end of this week and go from there. Any thoughts on this?

Feedback Score
    Is this pinned? Ive heard of people installing suppressor adapters using crush washers and stuff. Sounds like your Smith doesn't have the equipment to check the concentricity of the barrel threads. Also possible the adapter itself is out of spec, but my first guess would be the barrel and calling Remington.

Best of luck to you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast