Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dependable Hand held GPS?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Dependable Hand held GPS?

Who makes something durable, accurate and reliable?
    I'm looking for something that's not going to eat up battery power and yet work on a military grid system?
    I want to be able to throw this in my pocket, read my map and use the GPS for precise locations for reports and reference.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Averageman; 12-13-16 at 11:56.

Feedback Score
    Been using a Garmin Foretrex 401 for the last 3 years. Runs on (2) AAA's and lasts about 12 hours constant on. Takes about 30 seconds to a 1 min to acquire satelites if turned off. Does pretty much everything you can think of from waypoints, precise location, route tracking, headings...ect.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am partial to Garmins for their durability, customer support, UI, OEM software, and aftermarket software compatibility.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    I am partial to Garmins for their durability, customer support, UI, OEM software, and aftermarket software compatibility.
    Same here.

I've always owned a RINO for the radio & GPS features & have been very pleased. Wherever the next latest & greatest model comes out, I pick one up. (I think I'm on my fourth now.)
    I don't ever see myself being without one.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am a Garmin person, but what about the GPS APP's?

HUNT Maps are an essential tool for your hunting arsenal. Our maps add a layer of private land information, which shows obvious property lines and landowner information, along with other critical map data important to hunters. HUNT Maps offer full GPS functionality giving hunters the ability to always know their location relative to property boundaries while see new access areas, roads, hunting units, and more! onXmaps HUNT Maps are even endorsed by numerous state and federal agencies as the most reliable source for public and private land ownership on the market. HUNT Smarter with a HUNT Map to match your unique style today!
    https://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/overv...FQZYDQodnr0A7g

Article from PC Mag http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414409,00.asp
    Last edited by platoonDaddy; 02-19-17 at 14:24.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Garman here also. I have a GPSmap 60CSx, an older model that was top of the line when it came out. Still works great for my needs (hiking). I clip it to my backpack's shoulder strap with the Garman QR clip. I use rechargable Panasonic eneloop pro batteries, which last longer than regular AAs, but I charge them up each night anyway. Garman's maps are crazy expensive. I get most of what I need (topos & trails) free at GPSFileDepot: https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php.
    Last edited by austinN4; 02-19-17 at 15:55.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Who makes something durable, accurate and reliable?
    I'm looking for something that's not going to eat up battery power and yet work on a military grid system?
    I want to be able to throw this in my pocket, read my map and use the GPS for precise locations for reports and reference.
    Thanks
    This is what I use. It sounds like you don't need a map overlay on the device which is good. Especially if you have paper maps. If you want something that will reliably get you from point A-Z and all the alphabet soup in between it works.

Only negative, which can be turned into a positive is that it's not super efficient on batteries. But the grand news is that it takes 2 AAA batteries. I just keep AAA in my chest rig. Problem solved.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Garmin Foretrex 401
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    GARMIN 6.1"" GPS Navigation"

Feedback Score
    I have been using a Garmin rino 120 for about 12 years, Works amazing.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My eTrex Legend from the 2000 is still going. Although I did had to take it apart and re-seat the screen ribbon cable after 12 years or so. MGRS was supported in that model so I'm fairly sure even the entry level units on the current eTrex line would as well.
    Last edited by QuackXP; 09-09-19 at 15:00.
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast