Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mag tube extension for Mossberg 500

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Mag tube extension for Mossberg 500

What magazine extension do you M4C'ers recommend/suggest for the Mossberg 500?
    Ideally under $100.
    Looking to bring it out to maybe 8 rounds over the existing 5 round mag.

All suggestions/tips are much appreciated.
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    More info is likely needed as you didn't say exactly what Mossberg 500 you have or the gauge.

My answers assume a 12 gauge.
    Mossberg 500 models, except for one model, doesn't lend itself to an extension as the forward end has a female thread to accept the screw which holds the barrel on. The longer extension is available from Mossberg (if they'll sell you the part), gunpartscorp.com, or MidwayUSA.com.

The longer mag tube will sell for ~$40 to $50 and then you'll also need the longer 20" barrel which sells for ~$80 if it's in stock at MidwayUSA. I don't think you'll need any other parts, but I've never swapped these parts. There are different fore end tubes and miscellaneous parts which may possibly be reused.

Finally, you'll need a longer mag spring, ~$5.

I recommend buying the shotgun already configured to what you want.
    Last edited by L-2; 12-13-16 at 22:33.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Nordic Componants

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's the Easy Button. Unfortunately it's out of stock. They also carry the same thing with rifle sights, more expensive and also out of stock.

With the 500 your options are very limited due to the way the barrel attaches to the mag tube. You'll have to get the extended barrel to match the tube. If you don't want the longer barrel, you're kinda SOL with the 500.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post
    I recommend buying the shotgun already configured to what you want.
    I've always wondered why Mossberg doesn't offer a 18.5" barrel with a full length magazine tube (like the 870), to at least get another round in there. Is there something about the 500/590 design that prevents that, or is there another reason?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ACR_Scout View Post
    I've always wondered why Mossberg doesn't offer a 18.5" barrel with a full length magazine tube (like the 870), to at least get another round in there. Is there something about the 500/590 design that prevents that, or is there another reason?
    The way the 500 barrel attaches precludes a magazine extension. Mossberg would have to re-work the barrel lug that holds the barrel to the receiver. The 590 lockup method better lends itself to an extension since it's more akin to the 870 style barrel retention.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Okay, I had no idea that Mossberg apparently introduced 18.5" versions of the 590 earlier this year:

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590a1-tactical/

I think I'd prefer if they had mimicked the design of the 20" version with the bracket right at the end of the magazine tube, but I'm sure the extension holds up fine. I'm still tempted to link at a Remington 870 Police for an 18.5" gun (maybe an older used one based on comments about recent Remington quality control issues).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can buy a bracket for the extension. Truth is that it's not needed because the male end's width is as wide as the barrel ring that it contacts when screwed down.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thanks for the replies.
    I am posting this for a friend. I'll pass these onto him.
    Yes, it's a 12 gauge.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cynical View Post
    Here's the Easy Button. Unfortunately it's out of stock. They also carry the same thing with rifle sights, more expensive and also out of stock.

With the 500 your options are very limited due to the way the barrel attaches to the mag tube. You'll have to get the extended barrel to match the tube. If you don't want the longer barrel, you're kinda SOL with the 500.
    I did something like this a year or so ago.
    I will post a picture when I can find it.
    The end result was a $60 used 500 being turned in to a decent little light shotgun that is fun to shoot.
    I went on GunParts http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...rels-34116.htm
    I got the barrel, magazine extension, new old style wooden furniture and a metal trigger housing etc.
    It was a fun project, gun parts was a lot of help, so were the folks at the Mossberg fan boy web-site.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast