Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 20 vs. 30 round magazines?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by msap View Post
    End it quickly? Maybe, maybe not. These days you never know what kind of narcotic cocktail people are on and if so they can sustain lethal hits and keep fighting.
    There is no "narcotic cocktail" or super sauce that will allow you to sustain being shot in the head and torso by 5.56...

Quote Originally Posted by msap View Post
    I wouldn't be so confident as to say thay I could end something like that in just a short time.
    I would... This is not magic, or rocket science... Aimed fire from a 5.56 carbine will put a person down.. period... not even a discussion... It is not like flipping a switch, but you will go down...

B
    MossieTactics.com ~ KMA 367

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post
    There is no "narcotic cocktail" or super sauce that will allow you to sustain being shot in the head and torso by 5.56...

I would... This is not magic, or rocket science... Aimed fire from a 5.56 carbine will put a person down.. period... not even a discussion... It is not like flipping a switch, but you will go down...

B

You're correct. A head shot will put anyone down no matter what they have in their system. I disagree on the torsoe though. My main point is that if you have someone putting sustained fire on your position that head shot may not be so simple. Of course this also depends on your cover/concealment.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Buck

There are always an exception or two to "the rule" ..... the Officer Involved Shootings we have had at my agency with the 5.56 mirror your experience (all have been torso shots).

There are a lot of Law Enforcement AAR's out there pertaining to Officer Involved Shootings with the 5.56. And a majority of the AAR's that I've seen over the years mirror Buck's statements above.

S/F,
    Jeff

Feedback Score
    Wow, lots of discussion over 20 vs. 30 round mags. I thought the 20's just looked cooler and they fit nicely in my back pocket at the range. Noonch.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I'm a fan of 20's, I use them in the AR I keep loaded at all times in my safe. Simple reason is they don't take up as much room. I use a BFG Redi-Mag, with 2 PMag 20's, for a total of 36 rounds.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    USMC03,

This is off topic, but IMHO you're way too far forward through and over your cover.

I was taught to stay behind cover and scan through it/over it, not to poke my gun through/over.

YMMV,

Ben

It's a game, it's different than the street.
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Having seen the elephant with a carbine on duty, I can attest the rifle will put them down with the fewest rounds comparably.

I still have both type of mags in the car. I have 2-30's and 1-20. And find myself putting the 30 in, and packing the other 2.

It's easy to say what the woulda-coulda-shoulda's are in a fire fight as we sit here safely behind our keyboards. I wouldn't say that anything can be ended quickly. People act differently and shots go to hell real quick, when's there's incoming.

I would like to know from those who have seen the elephant, and know where it poops (in the LE world), do you feel more comfortable with a 20 or a 30?

And did you feel the same way before?
    If it isn't durable, it isn't reliable.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345