Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking hog

Feedback Score

Cooking hog

I got my first hog last weekend with my AR-10 and decided to take it to the processor. Going to pick it up this weekend and was wondering how you guys like to cook yours. I've heard mixed things on how they taste but I figured it was worth a shot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    What ever you do, post pics of that delicious dead piggy goodness!

From what I understand from the guys around here, the 120-150 pounders are the best tasting. I have never asked one to step on a scale, so it's an eyeball measurement at best.

Good luck on your hunt!

Feedback Score
    Thanks williejc, looks like some good ideas in there.

I will definitely post my results, good or bad. Here is the hog I shot, I'm terrible estimating weight but I think she was a pretty good size for eating, not too big but not tiny either.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Gut it, skin it, soak in brine for a day or two, pat dry and season, throw on smoker whole (minus head/hooves), baste with choice of sauce, eat. Mesquite or pecan wood would be my choice.

Sometimes you gotta go whole hog.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Agreed - pecan wood is awesome with pork, so is apple.

I have brined a lot of birds, but never a pig. I'll have to try that sometime.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post

My choice is usually apple. Personal preference it is also how I learned to do pork on the smoker. Pecan is good too though.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    We have a lot of pecan wood where I live. But I love apple juice concentrate as part of a baste or sauce.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We have a lot of pecan wood where I live. But I love apple juice concentrate as part of a baste or sauce.
    I've used apple juice as a baste before as well. Especially for ribs. Also after the initial water cooks off in the pan at the bottom of our smoker I usually fill it with most of a beer. (Got to take a sip otherwise you wasting it ) but have dumped apple juice in there as well before.

If it wasn't so damn cold here I'd be interested in using some local apple cider as a baste, usually apply via spray bottle. That I am sure would be tasty. Bit richer flavor than just regular apple juice. MMmmm so many possible ideas and things to try.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Large cooler, ice water, salt, and apple cider vinegar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast