Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Air Keymount adapter for SiCo Omega and Saker

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS View Post
    I would just sell the barrel and get a new one. Bad timing indeed. I would never have thought they would release something like this.
    I would have never thought of it either. Before I read the article, I assumed it was something that an individual who had made an adapter, similar to the one made to use the MADD system with the Omega. Hearing that it is right from Dead Air is a big deal.

Although I would prefer to have the keymount rather than the MADD, I think the Saker mount will work fine for me. I have heard of the issues of it locking up, but have yet to experience it. If it proves to be a problem, then I'll probably look at drilling the muzzle device off and replacing it, or just selling it and doing it over with the keymount.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    I would have never thought of it either. Before I read the article, I assumed it was something that an individual who had made an adapter, similar to the one made to use the MADD system with the Omega. Hearing that it is right from Dead Air is a big deal.

Although I would prefer to have the keymount rather than the MADD, I think the Saker mount will work fine for me. I have heard of the issues of it locking up, but have yet to experience it. If it proves to be a problem, then I'll probably look at drilling the muzzle device off and replacing it, or just selling it and doing it over with the keymount.
    I'm willing to bet money the people who launch ASR mounted cans are:

1.) Not locking the collar, they either forget, don't know you are supposed to, or figure it's tight enough without.

2.) Mounting MD's with crush washers

3.) Non concentric threaded barrels.
    Last edited by foxtrotx1; 12-21-16 at 16:45.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone have any numbers for how much length and weight this might add to the Omega? It looks like it adds length for sure, but perhaps doesn't actually add length when mounted because of the different mounting system. I don't even have my Omega yet but was between it and the Sandman-S and like the Dead Air mounting system better.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Who is supposed to buy this?

I'd be pumped if they said they would make ASR format mounts for a variety of different manufaturers cans... or maybe some new/ improved/ interesting take on a universal mount... or perhaps a more effective way to mount to a NATO standard 22mm muzzle device than HALO collar or NT4/M4SD gate.

A new format... that's not even connected to a new can, but you're supposed to use it with their competitors (industry leading...) can, even though it adds weight and length?

What is the reason for this?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
    Who is supposed to buy this?

I'd be pumped if they said they would make ASR format mounts for a variety of different manufaturers cans... or maybe some new/ improved/ interesting take on a universal mount... or perhaps a more effective way to mount to a NATO standard 22mm muzzle device than HALO collar or NT4/M4SD gate.

A new format... that's not even connected to a new can, but you're supposed to use it with their competitors (industry leading...) can, even though it adds weight and length?

What is the reason for this?
    I asked the same question on TOS. Allegedly, the Dead Air design leaves the can much less prone to getting stuck on the mount compared to the ASR mounts.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    I asked the same question on TOS. Allegedly, the Dead Air design leaves the can much less prone to getting stuck on the mount compared to the ASR mounts.
    While there are some reports of ASR mounts getting stuck, it's the Trifecta that has the most problems. Mine got stuck if I looked at it wrong, and I went through 3 of them. I now own two cans with ASR mounts that get shot on 6 different hosts, and have never had one get stuck even with thousands of rounds through them.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    While there are some reports of ASR mounts getting stuck, it's the Trifecta that has the most problems. Mine got stuck if I looked at it wrong, and I went through 3 of them. I now own two cans with ASR mounts that get shot on 6 different hosts, and have never had one get stuck even with thousands of rounds through them.
    Sounds great to me! I've got an Omega in jail right now and have ASR FHs on multiple uppers in anticipation of its arrival. I was only relating what I heard as the primary benefit of the Dead Air mount over the ASR, which I otherwise was clueless as to why this was a big deal or why anyone cared. I suppose if I already had Dead Air suppressors and mounts, now I would be able to buy SiCo cans as well and use them on my existing mounts. Not the case for me, but it may be for others.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    I'm switching my ASR mounts for Dead Air mounts. I'm glad to see my pinned Dead Air flash hider can now use both my Sandman and my Omega. My Dead Air Pyro is a decent brake for the flash hider too.

The Dead Air brake is better than the ASR brake. The ASR has exposed threads and lacks the ingenuity as a brake that the industry has seen the last few years.

The ASR blast shield is pathetic.

If I want my Omega to be shorter and lighter, I install the direct thread.

While SiCo has a large footprint, I think they are resting on their laurels and good customer service. Dead Air is run by former SiCo and bringing new ideas to the market where SiCo should already be.

The market is getting crowded. SiCo. Dead Air. Rugged. Griffin. Surefire. Sig. Q is about to launch AAC 2.0. Etc.

I hope others will follow Dead Air's example. Maybe we will see more "standardized" mounting systems in the future. Here's to hoping.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slippers View Post
    I now own two cans with ASR mounts that get shot on 6 different hosts, and have never had one get stuck even with thousands of rounds through them.
    That's been my experience too- and I recently left my Omega mounted to my RECCE rifle for a while. I've never had the mount stick that it didn't just break off with some twist. Ever.

If Dead Air wants to make sales and establish themselves in the industry, they should release an ASR format can that does something better in terms of weight, length, durability, or reduction OR costs less. This is like the opposite.

They're trying to sell a proprietary mount for a proven can that is longer, heavier, and not compatible with other equipment.

This is kind of like saying, "Hey, y'know how those leather seats in your car always hurt your ass?"

Ummm... no.

"Well how about a potato sack to throw over it for the introductory price of $250!?"

WHY?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
    That's been my experience too- and I recently left my Omega mounted to my RECCE rifle for a while. I've never had the mount stick that it didn't just break off with some twist. Ever.

If Dead Air wants to make sales and establish themselves in the industry, they should release an ASR format can that does something better in terms of weight, length, durability, or reduction OR costs less. This is like the opposite.

They're trying to sell a proprietary mount for a proven can that is longer, heavier, and not compatible with other equipment.

This is kind of like saying, "Hey, y'know how those leather seats in your car always hurt your ass?"

Ummm... no.

"Well how about a potato sack to throw over it for the introductory price of $250!?"

WHY?
    Exactly.

Imagine what would happen if companies like SiCo, SIG, and KAC developed an open source attachment standard.... Essentially a new A2 STANAG std.

THAT will rule the roost if it's robust, reliable, and easy to make.

This will also serve to accelerate the integration of newer muzzle device tech into can mounts.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast