Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone familiar with Armorsmith plates? They have level IV plates for $99ea

Feedback Score

Anyone familiar with Armorsmith plates? They have level IV plates for $99ea

They don't say whether they're steel or ceramic. They weigh 7.6lb, apparently multi-hit rated. I'm in the market for plates, and this seems like a great deal. Anyone know about them?

http://www.armorsmith.com/armorsmith...-armor-plates/

Level IV Plate is a single-curve ballistic rifle plate designed to withstand rugged usage

10x12x1
    7.6lbs each
    Single Curve
    Shooter Cut/Gamma Cut
    Multi-Hit Rated
    OBL Tested to NIJ 0101.06 standard
    Model 1145
    Made in USA

Threat Profile Protection:
    All Handgun Threats
    All Shotgun Threats
    5.56mm NATO M193
    5.56mm NATO M855 “Green-Tip”
    7.62x39mm Ball
    7.62x39mm Steel Core
    7.62x39mm API-BZ
    7.62mm NATO M80 Ball
    7.62x54r – L
    7.62x54r – LPS Steel Core
    .30-06 Jacketed Soft Point (JSP)
    .30-06 M2AP “Black Tip” Armor Piercing

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    7.6 pounds per plates is a complete deal breaker. Even with nothing but the simplest/slickest carrier, that is way too much weight for doing anything physical.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That is heavy and single curve is going to be much less comfortable than multicurve. Also they aren't from what I can tell NIJ Lvl IV certified. They only have a cert that OBL (oregon ballistics lab) tested one plate at a close to NIJ lvl IV standard and it passed. If you google for Level IV 1145 you can see a lot of places have this plate with different brand names for sale at similar prices.

What are you getting them for?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I'll never understand why people go cheap on armor. Either you think you need it or you don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I'll never understand why people go cheap on armor. Either you think you need it or you don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same reason people go cheap on ARs, ammo, handguns, optics... people are dumb.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Same reason people go cheap on ARs, ammo, handguns, optics... people are dumb.
    Jesus christ guys I was just asking a question because I don't know much about armor. The prices I've been seeing are all over the map anywhere from 150-1000 bucks for a plate.

I do a lot of videos in classes and I shoot in a lot of them too, some of which require armor for certain drills, so I was looking around for plates when I saw this and wanted to know if it was worthwhile.

People are dumb when they spend money on things without doing research.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    Jesus christ guys I was just asking a question because I don't know much about armor. The prices I've been seeing are all over the map anywhere from 150-1000 bucks for a plate.

I do a lot of videos in classes and I shoot in a lot of them too, some of which require armor for certain drills, so I was looking around for plates when I saw this and wanted to know if it was worthwhile.

People are dumb when they spend money on things without doing research.
    Don't take it personal. It's really not directed at you per se. That's default Q and response here, and it's true of course, but not meant as an insult. Just don't admit you have a Shlub Master AR or all hell will break lose.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 12-17-16 at 15:11.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I'm assuming they're steel. You just don't see ceramic armor at those prices. But the others are right, over 7 pounds per plate is pretty significant and triple curve fits the human body much better than single. Personally, I'd shoot steel ammo before buying those.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Question... I see a few comments about the 7lb weights of the plates and would like to know what plates the folks that made the statements suggest?
    Velocity , SKD and others all weigh around 7lbs.

Also where can they be procured?
    Tzoid

Texan raised in " The Peoples Republic of Maryland"

"RRA- if they came with a blow job I wouldn't take one." - Pat Rogers

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzoid View Post
    Question... I see a few comments about the 7lb weights of the plates and would like to know what plates the folks that made the statements suggest?
    Velocity , SKD and others all weigh around 7lbs.

Also where can they be procured?
    Bulletproofme.com has some ceramics that would shave at least 3 lbs off... and as much as 5 pounds. Lighter equals exponentially increased prices.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast