Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing heat shield from MOE AKM handguards

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Removing heat shield from MOE AKM handguards

I bought a set of these used and they did not come with instructions. I am trying to figure out how to remove the heat shield so I can install an MVG. I've been trying to pop it out of place with a screwdriver but I'm afraid I'm going to break it. Is there a trick to getting it off?

Feedback Score
    Look for it on You tube. That's where I found it......

Feedback Score
    Instructions wouldn't have helped, they don't tell you how to remove the heat shield. Kinda hard to use the M-Lok feature if you can't remove the heat shield. Seems like a major oversight to me.

Feedback Score
    If you press in from the outside of the hand guard it should come out. I use the round end on a yellow Tapco chamber flag, so I will not scratch the finish. I then use the rear and front slots as a guide because that is where the tabs are located which snap into the handguard. You will need to press in and pull up and it will become free as soon as you clear the small tabs. I t may be a little tighter to remove because it is the first time.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I used instructions from youtube as well, it wasn't remotely easy.
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

If youre not taking fire, its all small stuff.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Could you point me to the YouTube instructional video? I come up with dozens of videos, only a couple of which pertain to the AKM MOE handguards, and only one review mentions removing the heat shield but completely skips over how he does it. Thanks!

Dave

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A video link would have been helpful. I've searched and cannot locate a video explaining how to remove the heat shield. I'd really like to install my vertical grip. This thing is a complete pain in the ass. Magpul should have seen this problem coming.

Feedback Score
    You can't install the grip with heat shield on? I know it seems like it's close but I had no trouble installing mlok accessories to mine or a buddy's handguard.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    It appears that many folks don't know how to use M-Lok.

M-Lok is designed specifically to allow the mounting and dismounting of accessories while the M-Lok compatible handguard is still attached to the firearm.

The only reason to do otherwise is if you are attempting to mount an MOE accessory to M-Lok, which is possible but not ideal. And with a $20 MVG... Why not just buy the M-Lok version?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Mine was a wee bit different as I was installing a very short rail section as I had a standard Magpul rail mounted vertical grip. I got it installed with only a bit of profain outbursts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast