Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Return of the standard A3 AUG - 2017

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    The Tavor - X-95 especially - is closer to what you're describing than the AUG is. All the Tavor needs is a brass deflector and an adjustable gas system.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    The Tavor - X-95 especially - is closer to what you're describing than the AUG is. All the Tavor needs is a brass deflector and an adjustable gas system.

The Tavor is kind of meh' for me personally. I don't care for it that much but I can see it is a developmental step in the evolution of weaponry for sure.

Feedback Score
    I have an AUG CQC I bought the night Obama won the 2012 election; I really like it, but after carrying a AUG A1 for ten years, I prefer the first version. Prefect platform for me, at least

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Well they could also use the 9mm style case deflector and re-design it for the 5.56NATO and then it could be used on either side. Right or left. Hell that would cheaper to design than re-desigining the stock itself. They could also add some texturing to the grip surface area as well. I mean the design is forty years old and they haven't done much to upgrade it other than some rails- they really need to do a complete overhaul of the entire system at some point because as it sits now, it's lousy for CQB/Urban use given you can't just shoot on the weak side without eating casings with your teeth. Plus they need to incorporate a bolt release with the NATO version that can be used from either side- meaning on the bottom, not the side. I know they like to sell their mags but let's face it the NATO version is going to be more useful among a wider variety of forces. They also need a suppressor setting on the gas plug. FYI- if they are going to some stock design changes- shorten the stock slightly so it can be a little shorter for body armor use but then use longer padded buttpads for everything else.

I own AUG's because they are "classic" designs, they are one of my favorite rifles but in the end- they are starting to become dated because the Austrians refuse to upgrade. We are way beyond the non illuminated optics and lack of being able to stack optics or use suppressors.

Longer more useful rails- for stacking optics such as night vision behind an a standard daylight optic.
    Case deflector that can be moved to either side.
    Textured grip surface.
    Bolt release with NATO stock on the bottom of the stock- not the side.
    Multi-mount QD sling points.
    Suppressor setting on the gas plug- no one is using barrel launched grenades anymore so they can change that setting to a suppressor setting.

7n6
    Maybe we should start lobbying Magpul to make new updated AUG (NATO) and standard magazine stocks and forward grips for the AUG. Incorporate all the features that people want on both: brass deflectors, ambi ports, bolt releases, textured surfaces, etc... They just designed new magazines for the rifle, there's not much of the stretch for them to make stocks for it now. Magpul would do a great job with it. As they already do this for other platforms. Let's face it we make better parts here in America anyway. I don't think Steyr will go back to the A3 design, they are into integrated optics. That's where the AUG started. If a longer rail is needed the aftermarket will make it happen. Just my 2 cents.

I just called Magpul. They said it's a numbers game. If enough people called them I bet that could change. I urge everyone with an AUG to call them NOW. Hit them hard and show support for this weapon. It couldn't hurt.

Honestly, I can get by with mine, as is. I have a plan to add ambi QD sling mounts shortly. If ALG/Geissele bring a trigger pack to market and the upgrade kits happen, I'll be a happy AUG owner.

SamM
    Last edited by SamM; 12-20-16 at 18:06. Reason: Clarity
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Combined my posts for clarity.
    Last edited by SamM; 12-20-16 at 18:08.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The soon to be available AUSTEYR looks very promising and Will, I believe give the Tavor/X-95 a run for their money.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
    Violentia Operandi

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SamM View Post
    I just called Magpul. They said it's a numbers game. If enough people called them I bet that could change. I urge everyone with an AUG to call them NOW. Hit them hard and show support for this weapon. It couldn't hurt.

Honestly, I can get by with mine, as is. I have a plan to add ambi QD sling mounts shortly. If ALG/Geissele bring a trigger pack to market and the upgrade kits happen, I'll be a happy AUG owner.

SamM

I have plenty of AUG mags that work fine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MOLON AABE View Post
    The soon to be available AUSTEYR looks very promising and Will, I believe give the Tavor/X-95 a run for their money.

Velocitas, Opprimere,
    Violentia Operandi
    I disagree. It's a neat rifle to own as part of a reference collection IMO, much like the FS2000. The Lithgow lacks a quick change barrel, which is one of my favorite AUG attributes. This allows barrel removal and a resultant 22" OAL, with barrel reinstall taking a mere few seconds. An AUG with barrel removed allows it to be stored in a very compact discrete case, bag, backpack, etc. The Lithgow is also (IMO) ugly as can be and it doesn't incorporate anything really novel in the stock - i.e. case deflector, updated mag release (not sure how this would be done, but if redesigning why not improve this), additional sling points, etc. The receiver is plastic and is really just a barrel support and the serial number is on the barrel from what I understand. And then there is the fact that the Aussies initially screwed the pooch in manufacturing the A1 AUG - not confidence inspiring. As a neat reference piece I think it has merit. As a go-to 5.56 I'll pass. Just my opinion, not gospel and ymmv.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Posted by: 7n6
    I have plenty of AUG mags that work fine.
    So do I! Actually, a large bag full. What does that have to do with lobbying Magpul to make an updated stock with some much needed upgrades? Maybe my post wasn't clear. Fixed it!

Well they could also use the 9mm style case deflector and re-design it for the 5.56NATO and then it could be used on either side. Right or left. Hell that would cheaper to design than re-desigining the stock itself. They could also add some texturing to the grip surface area as well. I mean the design is forty years old and they haven't done much to upgrade it other than some rails- they really need to do a complete overhaul of the entire system at some point because as it sits now, it's lousy for CQB/Urban use given you can't just shoot on the weak side without eating casings with your teeth. Plus they need to incorporate a bolt release with the NATO version that can be used from either side- meaning on the bottom, not the side. I know they like to sell their mags but let's face it the NATO version is going to be more useful among a wider variety of forces. They also need a suppressor setting on the gas plug. FYI- if they are going to some stock design changes- shorten the stock slightly so it can be a little shorter for body armor use but then use longer padded buttpads for everything else.

I own AUG's because they are "classic" designs, they are one of my favorite rifles but in the end- they are starting to become dated because the Austrians refuse to upgrade. We are way beyond the non illuminated optics and lack of being able to stack optics or use suppressors.

Longer more useful rails- for stacking optics such as night vision behind an a standard daylight optic.
    Case deflector that can be moved to either side.
    Textured grip surface.
    Bolt release with NATO stock on the bottom of the stock- not the side.
    Multi-mount QD sling points.
    Suppressor setting on the gas plug- no one is using barrel launched grenades anymore so they can change that setting to a suppressor setting.

7n6
    Maybe we should start lobbying Magpul to make new updated AUG (NATO) and standard magazine stocks and forward grips for the AUG. Incorporate all the features that people want on both: brass deflectors, ambi ports, bolt releases, textured surfaces, etc... They just designed new magazines for the rifle, there's not much of the stretch for them to make stocks for it now. Magpul would do a great job with it. As they already do this for other platforms. Let's face it we make better parts here in America anyway. I don't think Steyr will go back to the A3 design, they are into integrated optics. That's where the AUG started. If a longer rail is needed the aftermarket will make it happen. Just my 2 cents.

SamM
    I was just replying to the AUG upgrade post, not about magazines. That's Magpul's specialty. It's doubtful that Steyr (Europe) will do it.

SamM
    Last edited by SamM; 12-20-16 at 18:27.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW I have an AUG mag marked 1983 that still works and a SIG mag marked 1995.

If only mags could talk...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast