Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New rail for the M1 AUG

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    My Steyr factory 1.5X optic has been sold. I have emailed Pete. On the list now, for a full lugged rail. Still trying to decide on what optic to use on the AUG. I'd like to go lightweight but the rifle needs at least a 4X option. The Leupold 1.25-4X Patrol riflescope is very high on my list. A 3-9X Patrol sits on my .308 Steyr Scout. Great optic.

Any thoughts on the best all around optic for an AUG?

EDIT: I just received my AUG barrel back from ADCO Firearms. They cut the goofy euro barrel threads off, removed the bayonet threads, rethreaded the barrel to 1/2-28, pinned the ASR flash hider and thinned the barrel contour to lighten it a little. The Ratworx thread adapter is no longer needed. The rifle is shorter, and looks and feels much better. Spent just over $300 and it was well worth the cost.

SamM
    Last edited by SamM; 02-02-17 at 05:28.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by STG77 View Post
    Why not forego the back up sights, the T2 is a solid optic. Your sight radius is comparable to the G17L.
    Honestly right now it's due to financial reasons. I can't swing another T2 right now. My AUG currently only has the Troy Micros, which are perfect for the long rail. I will probably get a T2 for it mid spring and try it. At that point the BUIS may come off.
    Last edited by CRAMBONE; 02-02-17 at 10:14.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SamM View Post
    My Steyr factory 1.5X optic has been sold. I have emailed Pete. On the list now, for a full lugged rail. Still trying to decide on what optic to use on the AUG. I'd like to go lightweight but the rifle needs at least a 4X option. The Leupold 1.25-4X Patrol riflescope is very high on my list. A 3-9X Patrol sits on my .308 Steyr Scout. Great optic.

Any thoughts on the best all around optic for an AUG?

EDIT: I just received my AUG barrel back from ADCO Firearms. They cut the goofy euro barrel threads off, removed the bayonet threads, rethreaded the barrel to 1/2-28, pinned the ASR flash hider and thinned the barrel contour to lighten it a little. The Ratworx thread adapter is no longer needed. The rifle is shorter, and looks and feels much better. Spent just over $300 and it was well worth the cost.

SamM
    Let's see a picture of the barrel.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have the long Steyr "long"rail with a T1, but really want some better magnification options. I emailed Florian at Corvus Defensio and he said an M1 compatible rail is in the works, so I will buy that when it is available. I like the ACOG mount built-in since I have a TA01 gathering dust in the safe and that would be a good optic for the AUG. I tried it with the Steyr rail, but it just sits too high for comfort.

Pete's rail is a nice option, but I would like to also mount a light, so that limits things a little since it does not extend beyond the front of the receiver, probably due to the goofy QD sling mount that is in the wrong spot to be truly useful. This rail looks very interesting and I may still buy one to try it out. I tried the Steyr "Military Rail" that replaces the forward grip is OK, but not ideal since you are still running a light at 6 o'clock for all practical purposes on something that isn't great to transition sides (why no brass deflector standard?) to go around a barrier. The Corvus kit checks all the boxes for me, so hopefully one will be inbound soon along with the brass deflector.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Let's see a picture of the barrel.
    Too bad it's 1000 miles from my current location. I'll post one as soon as I can.

SamM

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Here is the barrel. ADCO did the work and I highly recommend them. They have done work for me in the past. I would rather have had the barrel dimpled but they said, that the AUG barrel was not a good candidate for that. Overall, the rifle feels lighter. You may also notice that it has a Manitore Arms Micro charging handle.

SamM

IMG_2422.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SamM View Post
    Here is the barrel. ADCO did the work and I highly recommend them. They have done work for me in the past. I would rather have had the barrel dimpled but they said, that the AUG barrel was not a good candidate for that. Overall, the rifle feels lighter. You may also notice that it has a Manitore Arms Micro charging handle.

SamM

IMG_2422.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

That thing on the end of the barrel though. How much weight did it actually reduce? Did you weigh the barrel before and after along with testing for accuracy? Did they bore out the gas port on the gas plug for the shorter barrel?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    That thing on the end of the barrel is just a SilencerCo blast shield, it can be removed. Sometimes the blast shield is used, sometimes it is not. I do not care how much weight was removed and therefore, did not weigh the barrel. ADCO only removed a little over 1/2" of length. Just enough to remove the stock threaded section of the barrel. Boring the gas port was not necessary. My reason for doing the work was to remove the oddball European threads and the bayonet threads. Both of which I have no use for. Removing the euro threads allowed me to remove the Ratworx thread adapter, which did add extra length and weight. The recontouring of the barrel was just because I wanted it.

There is no rocket science involved here because not much was done to change the rifle. I sold the factory 1.5x scope, some AR parts that were laying around and a spare parts kit for a Tavor to finance the work. Enough coin was made on the parts sales, to also buy a new rail from Pete Athens. I have just a couple very nice rifles and changed them according to my planned use. The work cost me $306 but it was money spent long ago.

Not very scientific, huh!

Sam

IMG_2445.jpg

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Sam,
    Are you going to use a suppressor on your rifle?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Standard A3.

I've been wanting to mount an ACOG TA31 ECOS to my A3 M1 but find that the eye relief is insufficient for a standard rail, and the high rail creates a jaw to stock weld. It just needs to be 1/2" lower than the high rail to be perfect.

Do you have the long rail or the short rail? Also I believe the TA31ECOS has the shorter annoying eye box which Trijicon should have gotten rid of ten years ago. Get the 3.5x model with a slightly longer eye relief. I run an ACOG LED 4x32 on an A3 military high rail but it also has the short retarded eye box- which is annoying so I have to put it all the way in the back. As far as cheek weld, it's sufficient enough but would prefer something a little lower, not much though.

7n6

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast