Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk "Roland Special"

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayseed View Post
    With the KKM Comp, has anyone had to run a lighter RSA and/or striker spring? I've been shooting some of Freedom Munitions 124gr nato remans, and I've noticed I'll have a FTE every other mag or so. With Hornaday 135gr Critical Duty I have no cycling issues. Wondering if it is better to switch to Speer Lawman 124gr instead as I hear guys having good results with that ammo in this combo.
    Mine won't cycle UMC so I've been using Lawman until I can find a 15# RSA.

ETA - I should note that I bought a new RSA for this slide, but accidentally mixed it with my old RSA at one point and now I don't know which is which, so it either has less than 100 rounds on it or over 6,000. I need to try both and see if it makes a difference.
    Last edited by Wake27; 05-25-17 at 16:54.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've gotten a couple RSA's en route to try as well as some Speer Lawman instead of my normal Freedom Munitions order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    For those who haven't committed to the KKM combo on a Gen 3 G19 with stock RSA, the Primary Machine Stealth Comp with SiCo barrel cycles with a lot of plinking 115gr to 147 gr ammo. Ammo I've used with no cycling issues includes Winchester white box 115 gr, PRVI Partizan 115gr, Federal 115 gr Alumin and Brass, PMC 115gr, Speer Lawman 115gr, Fiocchi 115gr, Federal HST 124 and 147 (both +P and standard velocity for both), Speer Gold Dot 147gr standard velocity. I'm probably forgetting something in there.

I installed a new Gen 3 G19 OEM RSA when I got first got comp. First couple hundred rounds (~200 or so) had weak ejection and felt like it was on the edge of having failure to extract, but no malfunction occured. As the RSA settled in, ejection became more pronounced. Majority of my shooting today is with cheap Federal Aluminum cased 115gr - even though they print on the box that it's not meant to be used with comps - possibly due to bullet jacket being stripped off when passing through the comp. No issues in 600 rounds or so I've had with the weaker aluminum cased stuff. Also worth noting that the aluminum cased ammo gives me the most inconsistent ejection with my other stock G19 and 17.

With comps added, the gun turns into a series of compromises. Common sense dictates the more effective comp is less forgiving with stock RSA. Likewise, a less aggressive comp will cycle with wider range of ammo on stock RSA, but may be less effective. The Dueck Defense and RMR combo adds a lot of weight to the rear of the slide and made the muzzle flip seem subjectively more. With the comp, it does help in tracking the dot. I don't have enough experience with other comps to comment on them, but keeping stock RSA and reliable functioning with wide variety of ammo was a requirement for me. I find it counter productive to add parts that forces me to change major OEM parts like the RSA to make it run with most ammo as it turns into a nasty game of tolerance stacking and defeats the purpose of having a simple design that works (stock Glocks).
    Also wanted to note that I did not get anything free from (nor was paid by) Primary Machine.

Last edited by Kilo 1-1; 05-25-17 at 04:57.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    15# RSA and striker springs cycled just fine on military 124gr NATO ammo. Didn't have a chance to try the stock one on it, too busy shooting.
    Did also play with the gun under nods, phenomenally easy to shoot, more so than I envisioned.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayseed View Post
    15# RSA and striker springs cycled just fine on military 124gr NATO ammo. Didn't have a chance to try the stock one on it, too busy shooting.
    Did also play with the gun under nods, phenomenally easy to shoot, more so than I envisioned.

Where'd you buy from?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whootsinator View Post
    If "real world handgun engagement distances" make BUIS unnecessary, why have sights at all?

Optics being reliable enough to negate the need for BUIS is a plausible argument, but the old, "You'll be so close you don't even need your sights, especially with how many bullets you have! Just keep shooting!" is totally unacceptable to me.
    Maybe that's because you made up the argument. He said they are a must, I disagreed and that was that. I find the reliability of late model low round count RMRs properly installed is as needed. Perhaps he has had bad experiences that I have not seen. you only need to get burnt once by equipment to hate it.

maybe you just have different expectations for use than myself. i find even the most basic rifle BUIS to allow reliable hits at say 300 yards in daylight conditions. however for me I do not use a glock for this. the most common/ likely use in my case is low light /night with and without white liight use at real world handgun distances. so basically a fat poorly lit target. a rear sight is no use to me, without an rmr I point shoot and finding the front sight quickly. with rmr I point shoot and finding the dot quickly. your training is likely different but if the dot is not there but the gun is in position I will be shooting. and when the dot is there I will be happy to see my old friend.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    ETA - I should note that I bought a new RSA for this slide, but accidentally mixed it with my old RSA at one point and now I don't know which is which, so it either has less than 100 rounds on it or over 6,000. I need to try both and see if it makes a difference.
    If they are both very clean (should not be), On Emtpy chamber pull and hold trigger. cycle slide and slowly release upon contact with chamber again. you may be able to tell a difference on how fast each one overcomes the striker spring and goes into battery.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Weird, my RMR has washed out on me in low light under white light, it has flickered during a training class, and batteries just went tits up on me early. I like having the irons.

Feedback Score
    I use adjustable so no wash out and change batteries on electronic optics. Flickering is bad I would be worried about that and verify installation tolerances, sealing plate, battery contact position.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Mine won't cycle UMC so I've been using Lawman until I can find a 15# RSA.

UMC 115 or 115? I ran a bunch of 147 through mine the other day without issue.

Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast