Thread: Light hitting thumb

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Light hitting thumb

Quick question, for you guys that have a light mounted to the side of your shotgun, do you have it mounted on on a barrel clamp or to the forend? I have a FN P12 with an Inforce WML attached via barrel/mag tube clamp. When I shoot with the light activated the recoil jams my thumb. Not just a push but a holy crap that hurt. Should I move the light to the forend? I've never had a light on a shotgun before. It has just never been my go to gun but I thought I would set one up. There just isn't much aftermarket support for the P12. So I would have to drill and install a rail to the side of the forend. Supposedly forends that fit the Win SXP will fit the P12 but that doesn't help if there is no aftermarket for the SXP either.

Thanks,
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse to Be a Victim and Personal Protection in the Home
    Full time instructor for Florida Firearms Training
    21 years as USAF Combat Arms Instructor and First Sergeant

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AFshirt View Post
    Quick question, for you guys that have a light mounted to the side of your shotgun, do you have it mounted on on a barrel clamp or to the forend? I have a FN P12 with an Inforce WML attached via barrel/mag tube clamp. When I shoot with the light activated the recoil jams my thumb. Not just a push but a holy crap that hurt. Should I move the light to the forend? I've never had a light on a shotgun before. It has just never been my go to gun but I thought I would set one up. There just isn't much aftermarket support for the P12. So I would have to drill and install a rail to the side of the forend. Supposedly forends that fit the Win SXP will fit the P12 but that doesn't help if there is no aftermarket for the SXP either.

Thanks,
    Just because I had it I tried a momentary only WML on a Magpul forend and didn't like it. Even with a cantilevered rail it took up too much space and pushing the switch forward while racking the slide was counterintuitive at best! I hate to say it because I hate the wire but a tube mounted light with a tape switch on the forend is probably the best bet.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    On both my shotguns I mount Streamlight TLR-1HLs at the 6 o clock position on my Magpul MLOK forends. Works great for me.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lawusmc0844 View Post
    On both my shotguns I mount Streamlight TLR-1HLs at the 6 o clock position on my Magpul MLOK forends. Works great for me.
    THanks,

Like I said my shotgun experience is limited to no lights on combat guns and then 5 stand through the NRA. Thats it. I see everyone has one but either most people don't actually use it or they have found out a way to use it and not break their thumb in the process. I'll try the 6 o clock thing. Seems like it will work better.
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse to Be a Victim and Personal Protection in the Home
    Full time instructor for Florida Firearms Training
    21 years as USAF Combat Arms Instructor and First Sergeant

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    How will you activate the Inforce light mounted at 6 o'clock?