Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig Academy

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Sig Academy

Anyone have experience with training at the Sig Academy? Other than their guest instructors, how are their in-house training/curriculum? They have lots of incremental levels of training, looks good on the business aspect but is it good for the average civilian to invest in it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I really enjoy the Sig Academy. Their skill builders are great. $115 for three hours of shooting with knowledgeable instructors. It's the only professional training I've ever had so I'm not the best reviewer. But I would say give them I shot.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I can only speak to their law enforcement side, but man, it is fantastic. Every year, the weekend before SHOT Show, they come out and do a Master Rifle Instructor School. I took it two years ago. It was, without a doubt, one of the best carbine classes I've taken. Very tough. It's not that you shoot far, most everything is shot at about 10 yards, but the manipulations and the par times are compressed. Keep in mind, this is their Master level instructor school, not a beginner class. Just stating that the level of instruction was great. The instructors are top notch. They posses a very rare ability to do the drills, demo them, under the par time, without being the least bit arrogant or cocky. It was not a "let me show you how good I am" sort of environment. They weren't there to show us what they could do, they were there to teach us what we could do. That's not easy to do. They were very professional, but not cold.

As a full time instructor, I've been to many training classes. This one I highly recommend. About half the class was able to leave with the "Madter Instructor " certification. The others learned a ton, and got a training certificate for their records, but not the Master Instructor. I think this is important to note because not everyone who attends just automatically gets it. To me, that gives credibility to the program. It says to me that just because someone went, Sig isn't giving certs away. Not everyone gets a gold star just for showing up.

I'm not attending this year. I want to be fair to other instructors and let them go, but if there was an opening that we couldn't fill, I'd gladly go again in the future.
    Last edited by Vegasshooter; 01-06-17 at 13:50.

Feedback Score
    This past summer, I attended their "Skill Builder: Pistol II" course. It was an eight hour course and it was very good.

For some background, I attended my first training course at Sig back in 2001 (it was SigArms Academy back then) and Bank Miller and George Harris were the primary instructors. Training was excellent. I went back the next year and had the same great experience. I returned in 2004 and there was a wholesale regime change. Bank, George, and all of the other previous instructors were gone; and while I did get my money's worth, it was not quite up to the same level.

Fast forward to 2016, and I return and it is a whole different game. The facility has expanded greatly and I received excellent instruction.

Go there with confidence.
    Last edited by mo4040; 01-15-17 at 23:27.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I attended their Rifle 102 (full day course) and 102.5 (half-day course) during the weekend in Epping, NH. Their indoor 50 yard rifle range was top notch, although I prefer to shoot rifle outdoors for the extended range and alleviation of rifle concussion. I had different instructors on each course and their level of instruction was great. I thought the curriculum was a bit slow but had to keep in mind that this is a crawling phase class, Sig's first live-fire open-enrollment course offered to civilians without prior training at Sig Academy or equivalent documented training. I mainly took these courses to check the box so I can attend their more advanced courses but I misread and found out I could've taken their Defensive Rifle without any prerequisites.

The second half-day course, Rifle 102.5, was Rifle 102 all over again compressed in a 4-hour instruction block format. I don't recommend taking 102.5 unless you haven't touched a rifle in years and are uncomfortable with your own very basic rifle handling skillset. I took this course because my partner and I had split hotel rooms for the weekend which helped offset the cost of the weekend. Tacking an additional $115 course fee for my weekend getaway to get some extra reps in at the facility was a sound idea. We took over an hour and some change zeroing rifles, certainly a waste of time since half of the students were using loaner MCX rifles. The instruction for each maneuver took just as long explaining/demonstrating as the 8-hour Rifle 102 class, which detracted from students getting more time behind the gun to perform those designated tasks. This class should've been 10% of instruction/demonstration and 90% students actually running those drills. I must admit that about 1/4 of the students shouldn't have attended this class, belonging in the full day of Rifle 102 instead.

If you're pretty confident in the very basics of carbine handling, I suggest you skip right to the Defensive Rifle course.

Indoor rifle range:

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Were you able to use regular ball ammo (not frangible)? Do you know their stance on using steel case at the indoor rifle range?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by andy t View Post
    Were you able to use regular ball ammo (not frangible)? Do you know their stance on using steel case at the indoor rifle range?

Thanks!
    I used XTAC M193 the whole class and my buddy was using Tula .223 steel cased, instructor didn't say anything.

Feedback Score
    I've taken the Bullets and Vehicles, CQ Rifle, Alter Ego, Classic Armorer, Dark Angel Med courses. All were really great with great instructors. Good ranges and classrooms and their pro shop is ouststanding as well. Stay out of there if you want to keep your paycheck. If youre from out of town, stay in downtown Portsmouth at the Sheraton. Great restaurants and bars around there. Ill also say that the ladies of Portsmouth are quite friendly as well. All in all just a great experience every time Ive been there, especially if you go with a group of buddies. I've moved to Georgia now and wish Glock had a similar setup down here.
    Last edited by Passenger 57; 02-26-17 at 11:09.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I live an hour away and have yet to treat myself to a course there. I intend to remedy that ASAP.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Feedback Score
    I live about 15min from the Sig Academy and train there regularly. It’s pretty damn good in my opinion and I feel spoiled living so close. Instructors are top notch with real world experience, it’s not a place for egos or similar BS and never feels like a competition. No matter what your skill level is I’d recommend trying an appropriate class you won’t be disappointed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast