Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aero BCG good to go?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Aero makes solid parts, but there are quite a few quality manufacturers offering great BCGs for good prices. Check materials and factor in shipping. The only BCG I've had fail on me was a colt. Normally I'd say "buy once, cry once" but you really can't cry about the prices of top notch BCGs right now.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I emailed them last week and they said their BCGs were batch tested.

That's a no-go for me, but YMMV.

Feedback Score
    14 (94%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
    These are for primary. I built a few rifles over the last year when parts were stupid cheap, I do most of my AR shopping at the end of the year with all the sales. Seems like last year was great in sales but this year was limited unless you wanted a skeltonized grip, upper receiver, etc. All my lowers are BCM or DD. I have 1 aero upper reciever that I built my SBR off of. I do need 2 BCG, 1 for rifle and 1 as a back up. Well a bolt and a BCG is really all I need.

What's the opinion on the black nitride vs phosphate? I never jumped on that wagon with the fancy coatings until I had my bolt out of my bolt gun Black nitride and soon the other will be DLC coated.
    I am trying out a nitride coated BCG in one of my rifles now and so far it's great. A lot easier to clean and it still looks new with very little wear marks after over 1000 rounds, whereas my phosphate coated BCGs look worn out after a few hundred rounds. I know that appearance isn't important, but it's always nice to have the coating/treatment hold up well over time. Really the ease of cleaning is the biggest plus. I was up in the air between going with NIB or the nitride and after reading about many issues with NIB flaking off I decided to go nitride, and so far I'm glad I did.

The nitride BCG I am trying is the AIM surplus one and like I said so far so good. I know it's not the most endorsed BCG here, but I have upper tier well known BCGs that I use mainly. This was more of a trial run and it's been good.

Feedback Score
    Aero makes great parts and has excellent CS as well

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I've got approximately 500-700 on one. No issues, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I would be very interested to follow up with you on this. Can you do me a favor, and keep a log of the number of rounds you shoot with that BCG?

Hydrogen embrittlement is often a very real issue with the nickel boron coated bolts. It would be interesting to get some verified numbers. The NP3-coated bolts and BCG do not have that issue.

A separate thread in the AR Technical Discussion subforum would be very useful. You could just drop the round count in that thread, after each range trip.

Thanks for your help, and have a Merry Christmas.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Bumping this cause the Aero Nitride BCG can be had for $110. What exactly makes this an inferior product. It checks off the usual boxes:
    1. Staked carrier key
    2. MP Inspected
    3. Not sure if they are produced by Aero but they manufacture everything else
    4. Positive reviews

I get it might not be as well known/used as BCM, Colt, etc., but is there something specifically wrong with it? Curious as I have an Aero build for 2-Gun/Carbine matches and before purchasing this product I want to know if its got some issue.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would get a BCM bolt/carrier or something of similar spec for anything duty related.

I have a fancy NiB bolt/carrier. It is decent, I don't have to worry as much about lube with it, but it is harder to clean inside where the gas rings interface with the carrier, much harder to clean than any milspec BCG. However the outside of the carrier is extremely easy to clean, and slides very slick inside the upper.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    Bumping this cause the Aero Nitride BCG can be had for $110. What exactly makes this an inferior product. It checks off the usual boxes:
    1. Staked carrier key
    2. MP Inspected
    3. Not sure if they are produced by Aero but they manufacture everything else
    4. Positive reviews

I get it might not be as well known/used as BCM, Colt, etc., but is there something specifically wrong with it? Curious as I have an Aero build for 2-Gun/Carbine matches and before purchasing this product I want to know if its got some issue.
    I doubt the staking would be as good as Colt or BCM. Just ask yourself which you would trust more with your gut.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56 Bonded SP View Post
    I doubt the staking would be as good as Colt or BCM. Just ask yourself which you would trust more with your gut.
    Visit the Aero Precision website, look at the pictures of the bolts - staking looks gtg as well as you can tell from a picture.

Still not definitive, but more substantive than 'I doubt.'

For a 40.00 to 60.00 savings I'd probably give it a shot, C158 Bolt - Peened, HPT, MPI, etc.

These guys have them for 95.00

http://www.monmouthreloading.com/sho...carrier-group/

Does BCM make a nitrided BCG?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Attachment 48085

Here's the staking on a Noveske BCG on the left, and an Aero Precision on the right.

I use the Aero in my 6.8x43, and it seems fine, but I only have 600 or so rounds on it.

FWIW, the Aero was ~$100, the Noveske was $150 (with bolt headspaced/matched to barrel)
    Last edited by MisterHelix; 10-17-17 at 21:30.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast