Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you learned about your shooting lately?

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I think I'm going to go back to AR mags with the bullets rear on my belt. I've been trying bullets forward like a pistol mag for about a year and a half since thats how I'd have to pull them from a chest rig, but I'm still faster and more consistent with them facing rear I think.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I think I'm going to go back to AR mags with the bullets rear on my belt. I've been trying bullets forward like a pistol mag for about a year and a half since thats how I'd have to pull them from a chest rig, but I'm still faster and more consistent with them facing rear I think.
    That is pretty common.

Magazine orientation. If additional magazines are carried they should be oriented so that they are indexed properly for reloading.

Support Side Carry – magazines should be carried with bullets oriented to the rear. This enables the shooter to acquire a ‘beer can’ grip on the magazine.

Chest-mount Carry – magazines should be carried with bullets oriented to the strong side. This enables the shooter to get a more traditional index where the index finger runs down the front of the magazine and the palm is on the bottom of the magazine.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    That is pretty common.

Magazine orientation. If additional magazines are carried they should be oriented so that they are indexed properly for reloading.

Support Side Carry – magazines should be carried with bullets oriented to the rear. This enables the shooter to acquire a ‘beer can’ grip on the magazine.

Chest-mount Carry – magazines should be carried with bullets oriented to the strong side. This enables the shooter to get a more traditional index where the index finger runs down the front of the magazine and the palm is on the bottom of the magazine.
    That’s how I ran it for years. Last summer I tried running rounds forward on the belt for more consistency with pistol mags and the rifle mags on my chest, but I’m still more effective with the beer grip I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I tried out a friends G17 with RMR on it a couple of days ago. I learned that I'm not driving my G17/19 down off the draw when I shoot with speed. This was evident with the RMR as the dot was nowhere to be seen on the first few draws. After getting comfortable with just how much driving down needs to occur, I found my draw from holster to shot with irons vastly improved. I always thought I was driving down and simply missing the left by pulling the trigger too much, but it appears my shots miss by going high quite a bit off the draw unless I'm really focused, for example in a "dot torture" type drill. Still anticipating the break though. This was very evident when running the ball and dummy drills. More work to do.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    I tried out a friends G17 with RMR on it a couple of days ago. I learned that I'm not driving my G17/19 down off the draw when I shoot with speed. This was evident with the RMR as the dot was nowhere to be seen on the first few draws. After getting comfortable with just how much driving down needs to occur, I found my draw from holster to shot with irons vastly improved.
    So, this is where the argument about grip to bore angle comes into play. Some people say grip angle doesn't matter (since you can always adjust your wrist and train to accommodate any grip angle), but I also believe that not everyone has the same neutral/natural wrist angle. The same grip angle can work fine for some people without the need to adjust the wrist, and some people might have to consciously adjust their angle more. If I close my eyes, draw my Glock and press out towards a target, I find that my front sight is usually high. It has always been the case for me. So, I consciously have to drive my wrists down a bit so the sights will line up. This was most apparent when I started using the RMR on my G17 years ago.

So, when I recently built both G19 and G17 polymer 80 frames with their more 1911-like grip angles, I found that I didn't have to drive the front sight down as much. In other words, the grip angle of the polymer80 frame was closer to my wrists' natural angle. With the G17 RMR slide on the polymer80 frame, I can close my eyes, present, open my eyes, and see the dot immediately without as much correction. Without changing anything except the frame, I'm quicker with the RMR now that I was before.

Yes, through training and repetition, you can accommodate any grip angle. But I believe that the closer the grip angle is to your natural point of aim, the less you'll have to deviate from your neutral position to align the sights, and the easier it'll be to get your sight picture.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    So, when I recently built both G19 and G17 polymer 80 frames with their more 1911-like grip angles, I found that I didn't have to drive the front sight down as much. In other words, the grip angle of the polymer80 frame was closer to my wrists' natural angle. With the G17 RMR slide on the polymer80 frame, I can close my eyes, present, open my eyes, and see the dot immediately without as much correction. Without changing anything except the frame, I'm quicker with the RMR now that I was before.
    Once I figured out I was shooting high off the draw, when I would present with the RMR and I could see the dot I would pull the trigger and the shots were hitting steel quite consistently. This was quite "eye opening" for me. What do you think of the Polymer 80 frames as far as a HD/carry platform? Are they reliable using the jig?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    What do you think of the Polymer 80 frames as far as a HD/carry platform? Are they reliable using the jig?
    Time will tell - I've got about 1000 rounds on the G19 so far and about 300 on the G17. No issues (not that I expect any), but I'm sure P80 owners will start posting issues if they come up eventually. Contrary to what P80 recommends, I think that using a drill press with the jig would be better than using a hand drill only with the jig (which is what I did). It's hard to hold the drill perfectly perpendicular so the holes are perfectly lined up and straight. On the plus side, there's no danger of the pins falling out as they're so tight.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    That honestly I never bother with the G17 anymore. Mine is sentimental.

G19 or 34 (more 19)
    A G19 is the only gun I need despite my long hands.

My .45 days are pretty much behind me, but if I go to the woods; I am toting a G20 or a .44 Annerconder(I dont pronounce it that way but everyone else does)

Never enough el prez or DOT torture.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I’d like to own a 44 Annerconder!

Nice gun.

Ed

Feedback Score
    At 50yds standing, i revisited stance with the AR. Keeping my offhand arm more parallel to the ground reduced sight movement during the shot. I tried tucking the elbow down and it was detrimental to followups.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast