Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you learned about your shooting lately?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I learned I'm a canter a few months ago. I thought I was pretty good at keeping the gun level with the horizon---nope. Scope bubbles have improved my scores a lot on both bolt and semi rifles. It's amazing how just a little cant throws shots off target.

Feedback Score
    I'm done with full-power .357 loads from small revolvers.

When I carry my Ruger LCR .357 it's loaded with medium-power .357 mag loads. Golden Sabre 125 gr or Hornady Critical Duty 135 gr.

I hadn't run "real" .357 mag loads from it in months. I had some Hornady 158 gr XTP and 125 gr XTP to try out. Ouch. Firing the 5 rapid fire at 7 yds I would get mixed A and B zone hits with the 158's. All A zone hits with the 125's but both loads hurt. It's actually a concern that if my hands were wet or blood or I didn't have a full grip on the gun it could actually leave me hand in a bad situation.

The medium .357 loads and Rem. 110 gr SJHP loads I use to practice with are much easier on the hand and easier to get hits with. (Although the 110 gr practice loads hit lower and lower the further the range)

No more full-power .357 loads from small revolvers for me.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Shot competition for the first time last weekend. I was already fairly aware of this, but it really drove home the point that I don't focus on my front sight at all when stressed. I spent the entire rest of the day forcing myself to think of nothing else.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    When my aim sucks, I drop back to .22's, to work out proper trigger control, stance, grip, etc.

I was pushing left with my 1911's lately. NOT, down & left - just, level, but left. TOO firm a grip! Dropped back to my Ruger Mk.III, and worked on gripping the frame, W/O 'crushing' it!

Was also pleasantly impressed with my red dot (Aimpoint) and my .22AR the other day. My eyesight is not the best, but I've done a good job of sighting in my dot. Where IT is, the bullet goes. I'm at an indoor range up here in the frozen tundra presently, so the dedicated .22AR let's me work on all the proper fundamentals during the winter.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

What have you learned about your shooting lately?

Finally figured out why people say the dot is slower than irons until you really learn it. I have probably about 700 rounds behind either a DPP or RMR on a Glock but have never consistently struggled to find the dot off the draw until shooting it in competition for the first time. It got better as the nerves died off but I definitely need more practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    I learned that from a low ready, it takes about 1.25s to get a sure A zone hit at 7.5 yds from my DA Beretta PX4 full size 9mm. About 1s if I rush it, sometimes resulting in a lesser hit.

Doing the same drill with a G19 and G27 cut each time by about .25s.

Split times between the Px4 (very good trigger) and G19 (factory lousy but lightish trigger) were the same.

The DA Px4 trigger is "safer" and the SA trigger does lead to better precision over the Glock. But it's also slower to the first shot and the px4 doesn't improve split times for me.

Kinda disappointed. I was hoping the Px4 would be the better house/competition gun. Mag changes are much faster at least. Ah well.
    Last edited by Ron3; 04-21-18 at 11:31.

Feedback Score
    I learned the importance if grip in pistol shooting(again).
    I was in a steel shoot and was strugling to hit smaller targets, after the third, i clamped down on my grip and started getting 100% hits on stationary targets.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    In pistol drills, speeding up results in pulled shots. Having trouble finding that middle ground speed to build off of. Think I am going to be spending a lot of time on the 5x5 drill to slowly work up in speed.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    In pistol drills, speeding up results in pulled shots. Having trouble finding that middle ground speed to build off of. Think I am going to be spending a lot of time on the 5x5 drill to slowly work up in speed.
    I noticed that the stupid long, slow feel the reset thing from decades of marksmanship inbreeding was really hurting me when it came to shooting quickly. RB1 helped get rid of that by making me think of fast take up, fast reset, but smooth pull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    I started dryfiring by “slapping” (pressing quickly, about the same pull as if I were going for .2s splits) the trigger and once the right trigger pull “clicked” (no sight movement-it took days to get it right) and i ingrained it (took a few weeks), my accuracy at speed made huge improvements. I also practice resetting under recoil, even at 25yd bulls, dry fire practice by pulling the finger off the trigger as soon as it breaks.

Once you have that, its just waiting for the sights to get on target, which grip helps.
    Good luck.

Edit to add, good trigger manipulation is a perishable skill. If you dont stay on it, you will lose it.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 06-05-18 at 06:37. Reason: For clarity

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast