Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you learned about your shooting lately?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The smallest improvement can huge.

Ive gotten better at trigger control, but my grip always seems to be an issue.

If I could keep my damn thumb off the slide lock (sig 226) for instance.

Practice, practice, practice.

Ed

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My hands get sweaty when shooting pistol, and I find my support hand fingers slipping on the back of my strong hand fingers sometimes. I found myself having to re-adjust my support grip mid-string as my hands got sweatier.
    Gloves help, but I don't generally use gloves when shooting pistol; especially at an indoor range. I rock climb, and recently started using liquid chalk. It dries on your hands to improve your grip and isn't as messy as loose (powdered chalk). I tried some the last couple of times shooting (just a bit on the back of my strong hand fingers and my support hand fingertips), and it made a noticeable improvement. Support hand didn't slip and felt much firmer/stable.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    My hands get sweaty when shooting pistol, and I find my support hand fingers slipping on the back of my strong hand fingers sometimes. I found myself having to re-adjust my support grip mid-string as my hands got sweatier.
    Gloves help, but I don't generally use gloves when shooting pistol; especially at an indoor range. I rock climb, and recently started using liquid chalk. It dries on your hands to improve your grip and isn't as messy as loose (powdered chalk). I tried some the last couple of times shooting (just a bit on the back of my strong hand fingers and my support hand fingertips), and it made a noticeable improvement. Support hand didn't slip and felt much firmer/stable.
    Huh. That’s an interesting idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Here's what I use: https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...gaAlTVEALw_wcB

Feedback Score
    I have learned when you make a change, an improvement, it may set in motion other changes which were unanticipated.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejr490 View Post
    The smallest improvement can huge.

Ive gotten better at trigger control, but my grip always seems to be an issue.

If I could keep my damn thumb off the slide lock (sig 226) for instance.

Practice, practice, practice.

Ed
    That's a common problem with SIG's, but easily solved, given enough practice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've been in to guns for 15 years but it's just been in the last 2-3 years that I really began taking shooting seriously and started training. In that relatively short period of time I've acquired a taste for things just as a wine connoisseur or cigar aficionado does, and transitioned from being a run of the mill collector and enthusiast to becoming a shooter. I've learned what works for me and what doesn't, and sold off the vast majority of my old stuff to consolidate and focus in on that. I used to see consistency as redundancy and thought guys with nothing but three or four ARs and Glocks were boring. In practice, I quickly found that I had a vast array of wildly different firearms that I just thought were cool and only had passing familiarity with any of them.

One thing I learn every single time I'm out is how much more time and money I need to put in to my training. I am inconsistent. I have days where I feel like a badass leaving the range and others when I feel like a loser. It's that "consistent inconsistency" that drives me nuts and it's purely due to a lack of time on the range. Sometimes there's something I saw online that I want to try, so I go out and get ahead of myself trying to do things above my skill level or that push me past the limits of my current mastery of the fundamentals. I am not a professional and my everyday life does not permit me to be on the range as often as I'd like, but it's something I now strive towards.

Beyond that, I'm only 30 but every time I hit the range I'm reminded of my poor physical condition compared to just a few years ago. I'm fatter, my knees hurt, my left hip/groin area "catches" all the time and hurts like hell, my eyes suck more and more every year. It prompted me to start watching my diet a little closer, be more active and start wearing corrective lenses full time, which has translated to good things in day to day life beyond shooting.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is something I've seen guys use: Krunch Products Pro Grip Enhancer:

http://benstoegerproshop.com/pro-gri...ottle-2-fl-oz/

https://dawsonprecision.com/pro-grip...nhancer-spray/

Plus there are all kinds of general athletic products such as Cramer Firm Grip in either powder or spray: http://www.cramersportsmed.com/firm-grip-4-oz

I tried a golf grip hand spray I bought at WalMart after attending a course put on by Robert Vogel (I don't remember what he used) it was more of an anti-persperant for your hands then it was stick-um.

Although you specifically mentioned not using gloves, I currently use these gloves and love them: https://www.rogersshootingschool.com...gersgloves.php

Before I got the Rogers Gloves you would have had to beat me with a stick to wear shooting gloves during the summer months, now I don't leave home without them.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Wanted to bring this back as I thought there was some valuable input. One of the more recent things I realized was on the importance of breathing, something I've always kind of disregarded except when zeroing or shooting beyond 100m. I realized though that I have a bad habit of holding my breath during drills and think that may be why I get fatigued rather quickly. My rifle isn't really heavy and I'm in decent shape and I've caught myself doing it before so I think it makes sense. I'm trying to incorporate very forced breath cycles into dry fire now because my hands become unsteady way too fast.
    I am in complete agreement on the breathing! I really noticed this trying to shoot the Navy Qual drill (Jeff Gonzales, et al) 5 standing, 5 kneeling 5 prone into an 8" target. I also noticed the breathing issue, or rather lack thereof, while participating in a defensive pistol comp a couple of weeks ago. On the Navy Qual, I was holding my breath in while shooting standing and kneeling. Definitely contributed to me throwing shots out of the ring.

During the pistol match, I burned through entire Glock mags without breathing out. Kills accuracy since the fatigue catches up quickly. As soon as I reminded myself to breathe, I was more accurate. Also, the breath hold causes me to anticipate the shot break and flinch more often.
    Last edited by nightchief; 12-15-17 at 05:00.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I learned that with a pistol, I need more work on basic trigger control. Strangely enough, this is more of an issue for me in SA than in DA. Fundamentals.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast