Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: What have you learned about your shooting lately?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post

Although you specifically mentioned not using gloves, I currently use these gloves and love them: https://www.rogersshootingschool.com...gersgloves.php

Before I got the Rogers Gloves you would have had to beat me with a stick to wear shooting gloves during the summer months, now I don't leave home without them.
    Never seen those gloves before - interesting.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    I was reading the thread Two for Flinching and saw 26Inf's dry fire lesson plan. I used it daily for about a week and the first time I went live fire. I learned I was releasing the trigger all the way between shots, although I thought I wasn't, instead of only to the reset point. This proved to be hard to overcome without slowing way down and being very conscious of holding the trigger back after the shot and then easing it back to reset. I think it will take a lot live fire to over come the habit of releasing the trigger all the way because dry fire doesn't replicate the recoil and cycling of the action in such a short time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Never seen those gloves before - interesting.
    They have proved to be more durable than they look. And I'm not wild about the looks, they remind me of the isotoner gloves my mom wore in the 70's, but they work.

I believe they are made by Hatch. At least that is what Optics Planet advertises them as, here is the link, it has a pretty good picture: https://shop.opticsplanet.com/hatch-...SABEgKv8vD_BwE

ETA: I just pulled mine out of the bag, the label is pretty worn, I couldn't read anything.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 12-15-17 at 10:24.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    I was reading the thread Two for Flinching and saw 26Inf's dry fire lesson plan. I used it daily for about a week and the first time I went live fire. I learned I was releasing the trigger all the way between shots, although I thought I wasn't, instead of only to the reset point. This proved to be hard to overcome without slowing way down and being very conscious of holding the trigger back after the shot and then easing it back to reset. I think it will take a lot live fire to over come the habit of releasing the trigger all the way because dry fire doesn't replicate the recoil and cycling of the action in such a short time.
    This is true. You can speed up the process in dryfire, but not while holding on a target, which is why I advocate the between the legs thing.

As soon you feel the striker release you should be going to the reset.

IIRC Firefly and I are the only ones who talk much about the Bill Rogers Shooting School. If I can describe it accurately, Rogers teaches 'press, flip, press' with no emphasis on remaining in contact with the trigger. I gave it my best shot when I was there, but I couldn't retrain myself from the method that I described.

I've also trained with Rob Vogel. From his teaching I finally became aware that I was not gripping the gun tightly enough. This was eye opening, because folks had commented to me that it looked like I was shooting a .22 when demoing multiple shoot drills. I was gripping the weapon tight enough to control it, but not tight enough that I couldn't tighten my grip during the press.

Back home I started using grippers (until I got tendenitis - LOL) and slowed down to focus on a tighter grip. I saw immediate improvement. I also noticed that my arms and hands were physically tired after my normal 200 round range sessions.

Its a journey.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    This is true. You can speed up the process in dryfire, but not while holding on a target, which is why I advocate the between the legs thing.

As soon you feel the striker release you should be going to the reset.

IIRC Firefly and I are the only ones who talk much about the Bill Rogers Shooting School. If I can describe it accurately, Rogers teaches 'press, flip, press' with no emphasis on remaining in contact with the trigger. I gave it my best shot when I was there, but I couldn't retrain myself from the method that I described.

I've also trained with Rob Vogel. From his teaching I finally became aware that I was not gripping the gun tightly enough. This was eye opening, because folks had commented to me that it looked like I was shooting a .22 when demoing multiple shoot drills. I was gripping the weapon tight enough to control it, but not tight enough that I couldn't tighten my grip during the press.

Back home I started using grippers (until I got tendenitis - LOL) and slowed down to focus on a tighter grip. I saw immediate improvement. I also noticed that my arms and hands were physically tired after my normal 200 round range sessions.

Its a journey.
    It's been a long journey trying to make the switch from a 1911 to a Glock after shooting only 1911's and other single actions for 50 years.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Now that my right (dominant) hand is in a cast for 8-10 weeks, I've learned how much of a dumbass I am for not working on my left hand shooting more. Obviously I will have time to work on it now

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've been indoor rock climbing for about 6 years now (2-3 times a week, 2-3 hours each session); and it develops finger/grip/forearm strength that I never previously had even with 30 years of lifting weights (and chinups etc). As a side benefit, I've noticed an improvement in my recoil control with a pistol (due to a firmer grip without using as much energy as before and stronger forearms), and also endurance (grip-wise).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well took the day off and went down to the range, sub 20 degree weather and snow be damned, I was going to shoot today. Anyway, Drug out my EDC 19, my 1911, and my little Colt .38, since we were talking about them earlier this week, and finally my HD BCM. Side note, while I wasn't running any especially hard, the only gun that malfed was the revolver. Mostly because it looked like I didn't let the trigger all the way out at speed and in gloves, but I did get the cylinder to lock up a couple times.

Anyway, shooting in gloves I found that the gloves I was using changed my grip enough that I was throwing rounds a little at distance since it was causing me to push the gun to the left a little. Cold and fatigue did not help. Also, did some reload drills, if you haven't tried to reload a glock in gloves, in cold weather, with four layers on with your reload against your skin, then you have not tried to do a cold weather reload. I ****ed some shit up on that one. Good training though.

lastly, did some testing on some M3 MCT mags. I like them. They ran good. Probably going to get some more. But, that wasn't the interesting part. The interesting part was that running my BCM with Aimpoint between the heat/smoke/vapor coming off the rifle, and what I was putting during some of the drills, I managed to fog my Aimpoint, not completely but a fair bit on a number of drills. That was interesting, and has be reconsidering cold weather configs.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ve been learning that as I try to improve my pistol accuracy, grip is a major factor. Not grip strength in my fingers, but rather how I apply it. I noticed that I had a sympathetic tightening of fingers as I neared the end of the pull, opening my groups. The solution has been dry fire practice, and allowing my right thumb to press harder against the frame. This cured what I initially thought might be a flinch.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    After spending 2.5 months focusing on carbine work, my pistol skills deminished markedly.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast