Thread: Hill 875 M16 clone question

Feedback Score

Hill 875 M16 clone question

One of my good friends passed recently from the unfortunate after effects of Agent Orange. He was an Infantryman with the 173rd Airborne and was on hill 875. Eventually, when cash allows, I'd like to make a tribute rifle in his honor.

I'm assuming it would be a NDS XM grey A1 upper, partial fence lower, pencil chrome lined 20" barrel, three pronged flash hider, and parkerized bolt carrier. Were the bolts still chromed at this point?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatlander35 View Post
    One of my good friends passed recently from the unfortunate after effects of Agent Orange. He was an Infantryman with the 173rd Airborne and was on hill 875. Eventually, when cash allows, I'd like to make a tribute rifle in his honor.

I'm assuming it would be a NDS XM grey A1 upper, partial fence lower, pencil chrome lined 20" barrel, three pronged flash hider, and parkerized bolt carrier. Were the bolts still chromed at this point?
    In 1967, they were still using the XM16E1s and the M16A1 had been issued in February of that year. Since that battle was between Nov. 3-22, 1967, either one of these could have been used by your friend. If you choose to do a XM16E1 clone, there are a few variations depending on whether it is an early or late version. The upper receiver did not have forge codes, but did have Colt proof stamps. It also had forward assist. The lower was a partial-fence, but some late versions did have the full-fence lower. BCGs varied as well. Early ones were chrome with forward assist serrations and later were parkerized with forward assist serrations. The flash hider was originally a 3-prong and was later changed to the birdcage type. The M16A1, as I said, would also be an option since it came about early in 1967.

Here is a link that will be of big assistance.

http://retroblackrifle.com/

Here are my clones of a XM16E1 (late model) and a M16A1

XM16E1

M16A1

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004