Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: What could be done to simplify the AR-15?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm all for deleting features that don't serve a purpose anymore, whose usefulness isn't justified by the changes in environment or advance in technology/design.

Winter trigger guard may be one of them, barrel mounted sling adapter is the other I can think of. As infrequently as I use my iron sights and FA, I don't want to lose them.

Some say the scalloped out portion of the bolt carrier can be used to quietly push the BCG forward, while this is true, I don't think that's the intended purpose. If it were, it'd be serrated, not left smooth.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would like to see a redesign that incorporates the recoil system inside the area of the receiver with the bolt carrier group. I don't think it out of the realm of possibility to design a shorter BCG to make some room in the receiver for the recoil system. If the system required making the receiver 1/2" longer and a little larger in diameter around the BCG, that would be offset by simplifying buttstock design for the service rifle. It would also allow endless possibilities for buttstock type and design for special applications.
    Last edited by T2C; 12-27-16 at 16:46.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1. Design a bolt and carrier where the bolt body rides underneath the carrier like an AK, thus deleting the need for a cam pin and a gaping hole in the bolt.

2. Retain the firing pin inside the bolt itself instead of having it ride in the bolt carrier behind the bolt.

3. Redesign the extractor and spring for stronger retention making the silicon insert unnecessary.

4. Have a receiver-mounted ejector like the Daewoo K-2.

5. Redesign the geometry of the bolt lugs for longer life without cracking.

I don't know how well these changes work from an engineering standpoint, but I can visualize them in operation.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 12-27-16 at 17:51.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    1. Design a bolt and carrier where the bolt body rides underneath the carrier like an AK, thus deleting the need for a cam pin and a gaping hole in the bolt.

2. Retain the firing pin inside the bolt itself instead of having it ride in the bolt carrier behind the bolt.

3. Redesign the extractor and spring for stronger retention making the silicon insert unnecessary.

4. Have a receiver-mounted ejector like the Daewoo K-2.

5. Redesign the geometry of the bolt lugs for longer life without cracking.

I don't know how well these changes work from an engineering standpoint, but I can visualize them in operation.
    1 & 2 - These two changes would just make the bolt and carriers more difficult to machine. The M16 bolt and carrier are actually simple items to machine as they are right now. I know you think these changes will eliminate cracking in the thin web around the cam-pin hole, but I think all they will do is move where the cracks start, unless you make the bolt and carrier much bigger. Reducing the cam pin diameter would accomplish the same end and keep the simple machine work at the expense of increased cam pin stress.

3 & 4 - The extractor spring is the weakest part of the whole design, and a beefier extractor spring would help. As to the ejector, the only reason to eliminate the spring ejector would be to make more room for a bigger extractor spring, it wouldn't help or hurt the functioning.

5 - It's been done, there are bolts that fit standard extensions with improve geometry.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I too would like to see a one piece RE/Lower with a qd socket incorporated. This is the one modification we do most at our shop. QD endplates.

Feedback Score
    I have heard of hunters that ease the bolt forward then utilize the FA to finish seating the round

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alliance96 View Post
    I have heard of hunters that ease the bolt forward then utilize the FA to finish seating the round
    I actually have done this too.

Also, with a brand new weapon, it's sometimes necessary to use the FA to seat the BCG when reinstalling it in the rifle if you don't want to let it slam home. This goes away quickly as the rifle is used.

Feedback Score
    Thread gas block journal for a thread on gas block.

Machine flash hider into barrel a-la Ruger SR556C.

Integrate gas key, buffer, and bolt carrier into one unit.

Use a drop in trigger unit.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910