Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt 1911 Series 70 Blue

Feedback Score

Colt 1911 Series 70 Blue

Merry Christmas first of all.

My brother, cousin, and I were talking about buying 1911's and from what little research I've done, I've heard these are good to go. I know there are some issues with 1911 reliability, or at least a discussion about it. Do the Colt's come reliable out of the box? If anyone has experience with them I'd like to hear what your experiences have been. Thanks.

Here's where I would likely buy if they were in stock: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...&key=01970A1CS

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I think the current production Colts are some of the best Colt has ever produced (and I've heard this from other owners also). I've bought a few over the past few years, and all have run 100%. Even with hollow point. And if you do have any problems, it's under warranty.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post
    I think the current production Colts are some of the best Colt has ever produced (and I've heard this from other owners also). I've bought a few over the past few years, and all have run 100%. Even with hollow point. And if you do have any problems, it's under warranty.
    This is my experience also. I have bought two Colt 1911's in the past five years, and both have been excellent.

Feedback Score
    On my (now no longer owned) two Colts this year (2016) both staked-on front sights loosened up. The first one Colt replaced and restaked the sight which took about a 2 to 3 week turnaround, mainly due to shipping/transit times.

The second one I restaked the existing sight which seemed to stay put after shooting a few hundred round prior to selling it. This 2nd O4691 model Colt .45 Commander was a warranty replacement for the 1st one due to a frame cracking. I understand the frame beginning to crack is uncommon, yet it happened to me.

Getting this 2nd Colt under warranty took approximately 2 months for Colt to verify and get management approvals to replace. Being in California, I had to wait a few weeks more, paying an additional amount to the gun store for processing, before I could take possession of the gun due to this state's procedures/requirements.

I've had better and worse 1911s than Colt over the years. Overall, Colt has about average or slightly below in terms of difficulty in ownership.

Although I've not owned one of the many models they make, I'd recommend trying Springfield-Armory based on my observations of other owners around me seemingly not having any problems with 1911s of that brand. Personally, I'm now tired of dealing with any potential problems on a production level 1911, but might consider something like a Springfield-Armory TRP, maybe Dan Wesson. Otherwise, I'll just spend more for a semi-custom-level next time (if there is a next time), or perhaps even go into custom-territory.

Feedback Score
    Interesting ^. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Yes I'm looking to buy something that's going to be hassle free but not break the bank.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Buy a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Between me and a buddy, we have owned 5 Colts that were shot extensively w/out issues and a few more that were only shot occasionally. All of them ran with ball ammo no problem and the ones that we tried Speer Gold Dot in worked fine as well.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Many Colt 1911s spread out over about 4 decades. If anything the recent ones have better fit & finish, but even the old ones all worked.

The only thing you had to do on the older ones was polish the feed ramp if you planned to use hollowpoint as they did not at the time on anything but goldcups. (Real men shot hardball, apparently)

My belief is that the "unreliable 1911" mythos came about when the obsession with tighter slide fit started. And might just be smiths justifying more work. Slippery slope for sure.

Even back in 1975 when I was first introduced to 1911s shooters and Smiths knew how to tune very accurate (bullseye types). But knew that level of fit was not needed nor reliable for anything but the range. Combat rigs you dialed the work way back to just a handful of things.

Feedback Score
    I own several Colts and have had very good reliability with them. My black CRG jammed quite often for the first 5-600 rounds but it could have been reloads or bad magazines. Bad magazines when replaced with good ones (or new mag springs) will generally clear things up. My series 80 DE has had lots of feed jams due to a bad extractor. I sent it back to Colt, whom said they replaced the extractor. I got it back and it's still jamming badly. Seems like the extractor is loose in the tunnel so I will have to send it back again. I even sent them pictures and an explanation. Every other Colt have had no issues at all.
    Last edited by duece71; 12-25-16 at 22:30.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    I own several Colts and have had very good reliability with them. My black CRG jammed quite often for the first 5-600 rounds but it could have been reloads or bad magazines. Bad magazines when replaced with good ones (or new mag springs) will generally clear things up. My series 80 DE has had lots of feed jams due to a bad extractor. I sent it back to Colt, whom said they replaced the extractor. I got it back and it's still jamming badly. Seems like the extractor is loose in the tunnel so I will have to send it back again. I even sent them pictures and an explanation. Every other Colt have had no issues at all.
    My CRG has been completely reliable through about 3k rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast