Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Colt 1911 Series 70 Blue

Feedback Score

Cool

The level of angst about 1911s in general and Colt 1911s in particular in this thread has me looking like this:
    That said, I have a fair number of 1911s (all Colts; more than one but less than one hundred) and I can say the new ones I have bought, including a 70 Series repro, have been virtually trouble free mechanically with one off-center spring tunnel and a few mag troubles that were easily fixed. As for new Colts; buy with confidence.

1991 ORM Combat Commander (Melonite) by Robert Miller

Series 70 repro with NOS military marksmanship team contract slide by Robert Miller

1991 ORM Government model (hard chrome) by Robert Miller

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Thanks for bringing all of this up for me again...I've been fighting the "1911 bug" for a while, but it looks like it's going to win.

A blue, newly manufactured 70 Series has been on my radar for two or three years now, and I made a promise to myself back on 01NOV2016 that I get one to celebrate if HRC did not win the election. I felt like it was a safe bet at the time...

My concern on these Colts, however, has always been the sights because of my old eyes. Although I would not get this pistol with a primary intention of carrying it, I would still want decent sights for the range, etc. The only option in the past seems to have been to get the pistol and then send it somewhere for some sight work. Bud's offers a Series 70 pistols with Level 1 "upgrades" (Colt O1970A1Z) that include Novak sights, flat mainspring housing, NM barrel, and a few other things for a cash price of $1,023. There's also a Level 2 shown that includes a magwell. I can't find anything on Colt's web site about these, so I was wondering if anyone had any info, suggestions, comments, etc. Although Bud's is out of stock on plain Jane, blue Series 70 and a price isn't shown, I'm thinking that this Level 1 pistol might be a good way to go.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -- Will Rogers

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
    That said in the last few years I've bought new O1911 O1918 O1970 with zero issues.

You have good taste sir. The WWI Repros are among Colt's best. I have two O1918's. One is a shooter, the other a safe queen. Wish I had grabbed an O1911 when they came out.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnatus15 View Post
    Springfield Armory makes a good reliable 1911? Which models? Loaded, Mil Spec, Range Officer, etc?
    My first 1911 was a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec (Stainless) purchased in 2009. It came with an 11-pound trigger pull (measured with two different trigger pull scales) from the factory. I considered sending it back to Springfield to have it worked on or sending it to a reputable pistolsmith, but decided that I'd end up spending more than if I just sold the pistol and bought an already-tricked-out Colt or Kimber. I ended up selling it to a friend who didn't care about the trigger pull and bought a Glock 17. When I decide to get another 1911 it'll be a Colt.
    "I don't just want gun rights... I want individual liberty, a culture of self-reliance....I want the whole bloody thing." - Kim du Toit

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
    The level of angst about 1911s in general and Colt 1911s in particular in this thread has me looking like this:
    That said, I have a fair number of 1911s (all Colts; more than one but less than one hundred) and I can say the new ones I have bought, including a 70 Series repro, have been virtually trouble free mechanically with one off-center spring tunnel and a few mag troubles that were easily fixed. As for new Colts; buy with confidence.

Series 70 repro with NOS military marksmanship team contract slide by Robert Miller
    Looks like a King Tappen rear sight on that beauty.

Maybe the best GI style sight ever offered. Wish I had loaded up on those back when Kings was still in business...
    NRA & GOA - Join the fight!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by afff_667 View Post
    Thanks for bringing all of this up for me again...I've been fighting the "1911 bug" for a while, but it looks like it's going to win.

A blue, newly manufactured 70 Series has been on my radar for two or three years now, and I made a promise to myself back on 01NOV2016 that I get one to celebrate if HRC did not win the election. I felt like it was a safe bet at the time...

My concern on these Colts, however, has always been the sights because of my old eyes. Although I would not get this pistol with a primary intention of carrying it, I would still want decent sights for the range, etc. The only option in the past seems to have been to get the pistol and then send it somewhere for some sight work. Bud's offers a Series 70 pistols with Level 1 "upgrades" (Colt O1970A1Z) that include Novak sights, flat mainspring housing, NM barrel, and a few other things for a cash price of $1,023. There's also a Level 2 shown that includes a magwell. I can't find anything on Colt's web site about these, so I was wondering if anyone had any info, suggestions, comments, etc. Although Bud's is out of stock on plain Jane, blue Series 70 and a price isn't shown, I'm thinking that this Level 1 pistol might be a good way to go.
    Compared to the gi profile sights of the older series 70's the current production guns sights are much larger and easier to see. Replacement not needed for my 50+ eyes anyway. I took a vickers 1911 class a couple years ago and used a stock ww1 reproduction with the tiny military style sights and when we did a walk back test to see who could keep all shots in the black I was still holding black at 25+ yards so the small sights of even this model did not handicap me- they would be hell to pick up super fast or in low light though. Again the current guns use sights that are much bigger and work fine

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Over the last 30 years, I've had more 1911's then I can count without actually making a list.

All were reliable, when there was a FTF/FTE is was magazine or extractor tension related.
    The one I did have to send back, a hard chrome Special Combat Government needed throat/polish
    according to the gunsmith at the CS.

My last CS LW Commander was a flawless shooting gun.

Glock 19 Gen 5
    Colt Combat Commander

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123