Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 26" AR barrel

Feedback Score

26" AR barrel

Does anybody run a 26" barrel. What are your actual bullet speeds running with 75gr pills. I'm building a dedicated long range bench gun and agonizing over 24" or 26" barrel length. If anybody has one of the WOA 26" with the extended length gas tube I'd be interested in any info you care to share about that also.

Feedback Score
    My understanding is the .223 round really doesn't gain any muzzle velocity beyond a 20" barrel. I personally would build your long range rifle around a 18 or 20 inch barrel which would give you a much more versatile rifle.

Feedback Score
    Thanks I have three 20" AR's already don't need a fourth. I'm shooting out to 1000 yards, every little bit of velocity helps at those ranges. I was hoping for some real world input from those that own the 24"-26" barrels. Pushing the mouse gun to ridiculous ranges has become a bit of a hobby unto itself with me. I can shoot targets out to about 900 yards with a 20" AR using mag length ammo. I need more speed to push it farther.
    Last edited by Kansaswoodguy; 11-16-16 at 16:29.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You will lose velocity running .223 through a barrel that long.

Feedback Score
    M855 velocity maxes out around 20 inches, but heavier bullets and slower powders might max out longer than 20 inches. Maybe 22 or 24? I'm not sure.

Are you shooting Hornady Match Bullets 75 gr? I know Hornady advertises a higher BC than 77gr SMK, but Litz data has it the other way around.
    Have you tried 77gr TMK's? I've had them out to 850 yards with my 18'' barrel with good results and plan on going further.

Feedback Score
    I do run the 75gr hornady. I'm not against using the 77's. I just have 1500 of the 75's to use up. I've even played with the 75gr and 80gr amax but those can't be loaded mag length.

Feedback Score
    Question for those whom respond with the 5.56/.223 velocity maxes out in a 18-20 inch barrel and loses velocity with a longer barrel.
    Are you talking magazine length loaded ammunition only ?

What if you use a 24" barrel loading a single round at a time from a Bob Sled that is longer than magazine length with more powder capacity ?
    Lija 4 groove AR24 1:8 twist
    BCM4 upper and BCG
    Anderson lower
    Geissele Hi-Speed National Match - Match Rifle trigger
    Leupold MK AR 6-18x40mm

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you are running heavy bullets, particularly longer than mag length, there are still gains to had from a barrel > 24 inches. This is common in those shooting 223 in F class.

Instead of hearsay and repeating statements about "velocity does not increase past 20 inches" it would also be helpful to understand that the OP is probably not going to be shooting M855 as his chosen load.

It sounds cool, I say go for it. Should be able to easily spot hits through the scope I imagine.

Feedback Score
    I may play with longer than mag length some with this gun but mostly I will run my mag length 75-77gr handloads. I find it difficult to single load AR's just seems to defeat the purpose it is fun to tinker with some. I will definitely not be running factory ammo of any kind for shooting at those ranges. I assumed anybody that is shooting 24-26" barrels and posting in the precision forum is hand loading.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    This may be a stupid question, so bear with me.
    If you're building a dedicated bench gun and handfeeding it one round at a time, why not go with a bolt gun rather than an AR?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast