The GP has been a standard in the Ruger catalog for a good 20-25 years. Nobody pays it much attention nowadays even though Ruger has probably sold somewhere between a million and a billion of the things. They've always been primarily a 38/357 revolver and have been available in several barrel lengths.

Ruger tried to shake things up over the last few years with GP's like the Match Champion and a nifty 3" gun inspired by Wiley Clapp. Well, continuing with interesting new variants, Ruger is now making a 5shot 44 Special.

I don't consider myself to be a revolver guy and don't have much use for the 357 Magnum. That doesn't mean it isn't an effective cartridge. I just prefer semi-autos for several reasons. But I am a walking contradiction and do have an affinity for big bore revolvers. I love old wheelguns like the Colt and S&W 1917's and guns like the S&W Thunder Ranch. I hate to admit it but I also like guns like the Taurus 431 (NOT the new stuff! ) and the older Charter Arms Bulldog.

This new Ruger variant was announced shortly before Christmas and I placed an order right after seeing the review on Jeff Quinn's website.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-GP100-44.htm

Well, the gun showed up with my dealer today and I eagerly took delivery. Initial impressions are pretty good. I like the fiber optic front sight and the trigger is heavy but workable. There is a strong catch right when the cylinder stop pops into the notches but that can probably be tuned up. Single action is pretty crisp but with a bit of overtravel. Timing seems good and there doesn’t appear to be any excess play or shake in the cylinder.

The Hogue grips felt good but completely looked out of place on the gun. Too long in relation to the barrel! I took these off and replaced with a set of standard GP100 stocks. Much better and these should be a better choice for an "all around" carry gun.

I haven't shot the gun yet but do plan on hitting the range tomorrow. More to follow.

In the meantime, please feel free to ask any questions, etc.

Thanks for reading.

Galco SUM192B holster

The GP as it came out of the box

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk