Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100 in 44 S&W Special!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Ruger GP100 in 44 S&W Special!

The GP has been a standard in the Ruger catalog for a good 20-25 years. Nobody pays it much attention nowadays even though Ruger has probably sold somewhere between a million and a billion of the things. They've always been primarily a 38/357 revolver and have been available in several barrel lengths.

Ruger tried to shake things up over the last few years with GP's like the Match Champion and a nifty 3" gun inspired by Wiley Clapp. Well, continuing with interesting new variants, Ruger is now making a 5shot 44 Special.

I don't consider myself to be a revolver guy and don't have much use for the 357 Magnum. That doesn't mean it isn't an effective cartridge. I just prefer semi-autos for several reasons. But I am a walking contradiction and do have an affinity for big bore revolvers. I love old wheelguns like the Colt and S&W 1917's and guns like the S&W Thunder Ranch. I hate to admit it but I also like guns like the Taurus 431 (NOT the new stuff! ) and the older Charter Arms Bulldog.

This new Ruger variant was announced shortly before Christmas and I placed an order right after seeing the review on Jeff Quinn's website.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-GP100-44.htm

Well, the gun showed up with my dealer today and I eagerly took delivery. Initial impressions are pretty good. I like the fiber optic front sight and the trigger is heavy but workable. There is a strong catch right when the cylinder stop pops into the notches but that can probably be tuned up. Single action is pretty crisp but with a bit of overtravel. Timing seems good and there doesn’t appear to be any excess play or shake in the cylinder.

The Hogue grips felt good but completely looked out of place on the gun. Too long in relation to the barrel! I took these off and replaced with a set of standard GP100 stocks. Much better and these should be a better choice for an "all around" carry gun.

I haven't shot the gun yet but do plan on hitting the range tomorrow. More to follow.

In the meantime, please feel free to ask any questions, etc.

Thanks for reading.

Galco SUM192B holster

The GP as it came out of the box

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    .44 Specials have a way of appreciating these days. Good buy and what promises to be a great gun! The truth will be in the firing, but, considering how good a platform the GP100 is, I seriously doubt you are going to have any issues... even if you are a heretic for having no use for the .357 magnum

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There has been concern expressed by some about the thickness of the forcing cone. It looks like Ruger is using the same barrel blank for the 44 and the 357 and just drilling the appropriate hole.
    Probably academic. I doubt I'll ever shoot it enough to cause a problem.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Yes, I do have a question:

When are you going to shoot a mule deer with it?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Yes, I do have a question:

When are you going to shoot a mule deer with it?
    Not until next year. Unless I hit one with my car and need to put it out of its misery.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    For some reason, the .44spl is an easy cartridge with which to produce accurate ammo, and your Ruger will do just about anything that can be expected from a revolver. If its action continues to have a hitch or bump in it, notify Ruger who will take care of any problem. As a revolver shooter of many years, I can say with prior knowledge not to allow just anybody to "fix it". After you're fired the Ruger 2-300 times, you can then use Flitz polish on a cloth or Q tip to smooth its inner workings. My guess is that shooting plus Flitz will solve any action problems. Wolff makes a lighter main or hammer spring but suggest you not replace the factory spring until you've done the Flitz treatment. Why? Smoothing sides of hammer and any other parts touching it or the mainspring itself will reduce friction, and will allow more whump from a lighter hammer spring.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I haven't messed with the Special in years and find that I no longer have any brass. I thought I still had a set of dies but can't find them. I guess I must have sold them off at a gunshow or on eBay. No matter as a new set of Lee dies is only about $40.

I have been reading up on the Special and it doesn’t look like much of anything has changed since 1907. None of the popular loading manuals have anything that would make Elmer Keith happy. And other than a couple "boutique" ammo companies nobody makes a modern 44 Special load. Hornady does have a new Critical Defense load but it is a 165gr bullet at 900fps. Penetration is less than 10" in gel. SIG has a new 200gr load but I'm not seeing much about it. I doubt it is anything too hot though.

What the market really needs is for someone to take a +P pressure spec to SAAMI for approval. I don't think it needs to be the full blown Elmer Keith spec. Something that's in between the 15,500 psi of the Special and 36,000 psi of the Magnum should do fine. Something that's meant for smaller lighter guns yet still pushes a heavier bullet fast enough for repeated penetration and expansion. Something that's not meant for Great Grandfather's old hand-me-down but newer guns like this Ruger, the S&W 696, the Bulldog, etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    While we're on the subject, I think it would be wonderful to see this new GP variant sell well enough that Ruger decides to swell up the LCR and make a medium framed gun in 44 Special. Can you imagine a polymer gun that's chambered for a big bore revolver cartridge yet not much heavier than the LCR in 38? Talk about a carry gun!

Feedback Score
    Love the GPs' and Ruger seems to have stepped up it's game in courting the audience with different stuff. I'll raise my hand to a .41 mag in the GP if they ever produce such a piece...
    Obey Acts 2:38

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SFree View Post
    Love the GPs' and Ruger seems to have stepped up it's game in courting the audience with different stuff. I'll raise my hand to a .41 mag in the GP if they ever produce such a piece...
    A 41Mag in this same sized package might be nice. Especially if Ruger does not plan on making a 44Mag later on down the road.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast