Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100 in 44 S&W Special!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's something quite surprising.

This is the 210gr Speer Gold Dot loaded with Unique fired into gel both with and without a heavy clothing barrier. The chrono says these are running just at or slightly under 1000fps. Note that the bullet fired into bare gel shows just the tiniest amount of flattening while the clothing bullet shows no expansion whatsoever.

The bare gel bullet penetrated about 28" while the clothing bullet penetrated in excess of 32" and the bullet was found behind the blocks.

This is not the surprising thing since I wasn't expecting too much from a heavy jacketed 44 Magnum bullet at these speeds. I'm hoping that maybe something like Blue Dot can get me up into the 1100fps range to give the bullet enough oomph to actually work.

What is surprising is how well the 255gr RN LHP from GT worked. These are loaded to Skeeter spec and are running in the mid 900's. Penetration both with and without clothing is in the 14-15" range and both bullets opened nicely at these speeds. This load warrants more experimentation but certainly might be a good choice as a field/hiking load where lighter skinned four legged critters might be a threat.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I shot a variety of different types and weights of ammo through the GP yesterday. I also shot the same ammo through a 4in 629. I used mostly handloads but also shot a couple rounds of factory ranging from 180-255 grains.

The 629 shot just about everything a bit better. Some ammo shot well in both guns while some did not.

The GP really likes 180 and 200 grain XTP bullets loaded with Unique. It doesn't really care for Buffalo Bore's 255gr Keith-style load nor does it really care for Cast Performance 255gr hard cast. I have to wonder if these bullets are maybe a bit too hard to obturate into the rifling the way a softer lead alloy might. I also had a few 245gr plated bullets using Titegroup.

I took a bunch of pics and will post a few up once I get them sorted. Rather than bore everyone with a bunch of photos I'll probably pick a couple examples of best and worst groups from both guns and add them to this thread.

We should also discuss what acceptable accuracy is from a 3in "snubnosed" revolver. Is the GP a target gun and what should we reasonably expect it to do? I doubt I'd have as high an expectation of itty bitty groups if I was working with a similar revolver from another company.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here's the 255 RN LHP from GT with a Keith-style dollop of 2400. I chrono'ed five of these and the average muzzle velocity is 1,082 fps. Low was 1063 and high was 1091.

The primers are pretty danged flat and recoil is a bit on the stout side. If I continue with this bullet and 2400 I'll actually work my way down a bit rather than up.

Anyway, the bullet in bare gel expanded probably about as far as it'll go without breaking apart. Penetration was about 12in. Through clothing the bullet still had impressive expansion and just 16in of penetration. My previous experimentation with Unique yields 950fps velocity and about 14in in gel. That's probably the load to use since recoil isn't as stiff yet penetration is still darned good.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    In regards to accuracy, I think that the groups you posted on the previous page are very acceptable for a revolver of this type and intended use.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    In regards to accuracy, I think that the groups you posted on the previous page are very acceptable for a revolver of this type and intended use.
    If it shot everything like that I'd be tickled pink.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Speer makes a 200 grain gold dot for the .44 SPL. I would think it would shoot as well as the 210 gr. Between that and the hard cast load, I personally wouldn't need anything else.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Speer makes a 200 grain gold dot for the .44 SPL. I would think it would shoot as well as the 210 gr. Between that and the hard cast load, I personally wouldn't need anything else.
    The 200gr Gold Dot shoots well also. I have tried Underwood's Bulldog Load as well as a few Speer handloads as well as the CCI Blazer factory Gold Dot. All three shoot well.

The only problem I have seen with the 200gr Gold Dot is that it will tumble if pushed above about 1,000 fps. I've seen this in both the 3" Ruger and 4" Smith.

Last edited by Tokarev; 02-03-17 at 15:08.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Posted by author Denis Prisbrey on another forum. Encouraged by this news as I believe the little gun is capable of better accuracy.

Also, my sample has the gap under the front sight. This has been the least of my concerns but I'm still glad to read that it has been corrected.

Just off the phone with Ruger.
    The front sight issue has been addressed & should not appear on new production going forward.

The chamber issue is being worked on.
    May or may not go with SAMMI specs, but they'll work toward better consistency in picking one throat diameter & sticking with it.

I'm encouraged.
    This is a neat little gun & I WANT it to succeed.

Also, if the GP you already bought has a problem with chamber-related accuracy, Ruger is aware of the issue & should be able to correct it if you return it for service.
    Denis

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not directly tied to the GP100 but certainly something to think about if the Special is being considered for personal defense.

What do y'all think? Does the World need a SAAMI 44 Special +P spec?

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ial-cartridge/

Last edited by Tokarev; 06-21-17 at 04:06.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If it had been made in 44 mag it would be a nice trail gun in bear country but as a 44 special Meh! I would rather have 6 357 in any situation vs 5 44 specials.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast