Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Ruger GP100 in 44 S&W Special!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    If it had been made in 44 mag it would be a nice trail gun in bear country but as a 44 special Meh! I would rather have 6 357 in any situation vs 5 44 specials.
    Pat
    I wonder if there is some new modern super alloy that could be used that would allow Ruger to make this same gun in 44 Magnum. Maybe but that might increase the price too much?

Anyway I imagine the gun could be made as a 5-shot 41 Mag without much redesign. That might fit your bear country trail gun roll.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I wonder if there is some new modern super alloy that could be used that would allow Ruger to make this same gun in 44 Magnum. Maybe but that might increase the price too much?

Anyway I imagine the gun could be made as a 5-shot 41 Mag without much redesign. That might fit your bear country trail gun roll.

Smith and Wesson makes a 5 shot 44 mag on its 357 frame it's (L) frame Taurus does as well. No special alloy needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapopo View Post
    Smith and Wesson makes a 5 shot 44 mag on its 357 frame it's (L) frame Taurus does as well. No special alloy needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I thought the L frame was bigger than GP100 no?

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I don't think so. The L Frame was partly an answer to the GP100 because the K frame could not take a steady diet of mags. Besides the Taurus revolver is smaller than the GP for sure and its a 5 shot 44 mag.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    The S&W L-frames hit the market in about 1980-81 with the 586 & 581. The GP100 series came out in 1985.

The S&W L-frames were introduced due to forcing cone failures in the K-frame magnums under the punishing 110 & 125 gr .357 loads that many LEAs were adopting in the early to mid 1970s.

The LEAs that were issuing (or permitting their officers to privately purchase for duty use) the Colt Mk3 Troopers and Lawman, the Ruger Security Six and Service Six and on the very rare occasion, the allowing of the Dan Wesson M15s, were all easily taking the punishment of the new breed of light weight, high velocity .357 Magnum loadings.

The S&W K-frames were having cracks in the bottom of the forcing cones due to the milled out flattened section at 6 o'clock, (this was done to make room for the forward gas rings at the front of the cylinder crane assembly) which the aforementioned did not have. The cause of the failures were largely caused by a combination of gas erosion that slipped out around the shorter 110 & 125gr projectiles that ate away at the cones and the bullet's jump from the mouth of the cylinder which both played hell on the weaker, thinner bottom portion of the cone.

The longer 140-158gr projectiles did not cause this problem because they were long enough to bridge the cylinder gap and actually enter the forcing cone while the tail end was still in the cylinder, creating essentially a seal that allowed more efficient use of the gases and allowed for a slowing down of said gases before they hit the cylinder gap, making the heavier loads, oddly enough, more gentle on the revolver.

The GP100 was an evolution of the Security Six series and was over-engineered to be "bomb-proof" several key engineering differences were made in the grip frame, trigger assembly and cylinder cranes. The full lug was directly in response to the strong consumer approval of the full lugs on the S&W L-frames and also because the full lug does help soak up heavy recoil and make for a more comfortable training/qual. session.

This is the short version of a very long story.
    Fecal Splatter Expert

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I recently attended a Ruger LCR armorer's class and came away impressed with the little revolver.

The LCR is the modern take on the Ruger line of revolvers. There is some internal lockwork similarities but the gun is made to be mass produced with no fitting of parts. Really the only thing that may need some minor fitting might be the hand. Otherwise there ain't much in there that should need replaced or really go wrong.

The 38 version has a monolithic upper receiver while the 357 uses a steel component. Barrels are threaded on the muzzle end and torqued into the receiver rather than being screwed into the frame right in front of the cylinder.

Why bring up the LCR in a GP100 thread? Well, it might be time for Ruger to take a look at making a "medium frame" version. Such a gun in 357 would probably be immediately popular with revolver aficionados. It would also lead to (hopefully) other variants like a 5shot 44SPL or a 41 Mag. Ruger could take the same aluminum vs steel approach depending on chambering.

Just a thought. I'm sure Ruger has already explored the idea. The market research folks must be saying there isn't enough consumer interest...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Just a thought. I'm sure Ruger has already explored the idea. The market research folks must be saying there isn't enough consumer interest...

When they came out with the LCR I handled one at SHOT that year, really liked it, trigger was nice, felt good in hand. Have bounced around the idea of picking one up as well for something else for concealed carry. I told the rep at SHOT that a full sized 6 shot .357 would be something that I'd be interesting. I'd be interested in one as a possible trail revolver, and a lightweight, rugged revolver that is affordable for those not wanting to put down close to a grand would interest people. The problem I would see, as you mentioned, from marketing, is that a lot of the guys who buy revolvers, not all mind you, but a fair amount, want steel, or metal, and wood. They are kind of a throw back to the "good ol' days' for some and adding plastic or rails to the guns cause the guys to start cursing and threatening boycotts. Also, "large" frame revolvers just don't seem to be in as high demand as they once were.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Looks like Ruger is expanding the line.

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUGP-4451-5

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    When they came out with the LCR I handled one at SHOT that year, really liked it, trigger was nice, felt good in hand. Have bounced around the idea of picking one up as well for something else for concealed carry. I told the rep at SHOT that a full sized 6 shot .357 would be something that I'd be interesting. I'd be interested in one as a possible trail revolver, and a lightweight, rugged revolver that is affordable for those not wanting to put down close to a grand would interest people. The problem I would see, as you mentioned, from marketing, is that a lot of the guys who buy revolvers, not all mind you, but a fair amount, want steel, or metal, and wood. They are kind of a throw back to the "good ol' days' for some and adding plastic or rails to the guns cause the guys to start cursing and threatening boycotts. Also, "large" frame revolvers just don't seem to be in as high demand as they once were.
    I understand that old guys won't want rails and tritium sights on there but I'd think Ruger could come up with some sort of compromise.

The more I think about it the more I imagine a larger frame is inevitable. Ruger has probably gotten all the mileage they can out of the existing frame. They do 38, 9mm, 22 and then 22 and 357 Mag as well as 327 Federal. I don't think there is much else they can do with the gun at this point. Maybe add a 40S&W that runs on moon clips if the cylinder will allow it.

But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the 5shot small frame is still selling well enough that there is no real need to expand.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbinky View Post
    Looks like Ruger is expanding the line.

http://lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=RUGP-4451-5
    A 5in 5shot? Yuck.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011