Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100 in 44 S&W Special!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is a bit of gel testing. These were all fired through heavy clothing at a distance of ten feet.

220gr cast hollowpoint loaded a moderate charge of Red Dot. Muzzle velocity of around 800fps. A nice mild load and probably good for target work.

Penetration was 18" expansion was zero.

Next up is the same bullet with a max charge of Unique. Or a little over max depending on the book. This one's running 950fps. Penetration is in the 25ish range from this load. Mild expansion but more of a deformation than actual expansion. Obviously the one that didn't mushroom as much as its counterpart penetrated more.

Last up is a 185gr cast hollowpoint from Rimrock. These are advertised on his website as being what Buffalo Bore uses in some of their 44SPL ammo.

These are loaded with Unique. Again I'm at the top end of the spectrum. Impact velocity was 1050ish on the gel.

These open impressively especially after clothing. I had kind of expected these to clog. Once these open they get pretty unpredictable and veer off track. I had to fire several rounds in order to recover these two. The others veered off and went out the side(s) of the block.

Penetration isn't as good with this bullet. We're talking 10+ inches here. Maybe backing the muzzle velocity off a bit will change that.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    “The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Did you already send the gun back and it return?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Did you already send the gun back and it return?
    Not yet. These few rounds above were shot through an old Taurus 431.

“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I've always liked the idea of the Charter Bulldog but have always shied away from the hit/miss charter quality as it bankrupted and emerged from the ashes over the years. A 44SPL ruger is a different animal though.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nova3930 View Post
    I've always liked the idea of the Charter Bulldog but have always shied away from the hit/miss charter quality as it bankrupted and emerged from the ashes over the years. A 44SPL ruger is a different animal though.
    Yeah me too. I really kind of like the idea of the lightweight Bulldog I just wish it was made by someone else. I also wish I'd have bought a Smith 396 back in the day...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I backed the 185gr cast bullet load off about 50fps (now cruising about 1000fps) and tried some additional gel shots. Penetration is now more in the 14" range but expansion is far less dramatic.

I need to get some Buffalo Bore and/Underwood cast bullet stuff and see how theirs compares to mine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It appears that I owe Ruger a giant apology.

In preparation for the return of my GP100, I bought another box of the 200 grain jacketed hollow point from Underwood. Today I shot some of this ammo through an old Taurus model 431.

Much to my surprise, this ammo keyholed like crazy out of the Taurus.

So at this point I think Underwood may have gotten some out of spec bullets from Speer or they may be pushing the 200 grain Gold Dot too fast to be properly stabilized by a 1x20 twist. At least with a 3 inch barrel.

This afternoon I called Underwood and spoke to Justin. I told him what I was seeing and that I had a couple different guns now that have keyholed with their hot Gold Dot ammo. Justin said he would do some research and call me back.

I guess one way or the other I'll get this figured out

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Alright. Ruger sent me a replacement revolver and I've now had the change to put 100 rounds or so through it.

I'll start by noting that I don't have anymore of the Underwood hot loaded 200gr Gold Dot but I have tried the slightly milder Bulldog Only load. This stuff shoots pretty well.

Marker included for scale

Also here is a cyliner's worth of the 200 grain Gold Dot CCI Blazer stuff. This has shown itself to be surprisingly accurate.

And here is a handload using 5.9gr of Red Dot with the Speer 200gr Gold Dot.

Just for curiousity I loaded up five Gold Dots with a stiff charge of Unique. The load is over max depending on the book.

Note the four rounds near the previous Red Dot group with the one flier way up above the black. This seems to indicate that I'm pushing the Gold Dot too hard and is quite probably why the Underwood hot load keyholes.

Here is a fairly hot load with Hornady's 180gr XTP.

The first GP really didn't seem like it wanted to shoot jacketed stuff but this one doesn't seem to be having any troubles.

Hopefully next weekend I can get some more groups posted. This time with some more cast bullets.

Feedback Score
    I'd say you have a better smoke wagon this time. Much better in fact.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, that is looking much better with regards to the groups. I like that revolver a lot, and since I am down to one, a USFA SAA in .45 Colt, I'd probably get one if they release it in .45 Colt. I don't need another cartridge to reload.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast