Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Noveske Parts with 20” Proof Research Barrel

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Hi friend

I'm interested in that barrel. Mine is a 20" Krieger HBAR. It's great, but it makes the rifle heavy as hell. How much does that thing weigh and what kind of results do you get at 1k?

My 77gr Tmk load goes subsonic right around 930-950 and my best 10 round group at 1000 has been about 2 MOA - but 3 MOA is more typical.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 01-01-17 at 11:17.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Nice rifle. 1k is rough with 5.56. Beyond 600 is tough in my book. I'm interested in your results with this barrel.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Hi friend

I'm interested in that barrel. Mine is a 20" Krieger HBAR. It's great, but it makes the rifle heavy as hell. How much does that thing weigh and what kind of results do you get at 1k?

My 77gr Tmk load goes subsonic right around 930-950 and my best 10 round group at 1000 has been about 2 MOA - but 3 MOA is more typical.
    Eurodriver, I read your complete build project after i built this rifle with great interest. You really thought through the details of your build with a specific goal in mind. Plus it looks like you are having a ton of fun shooting it.

I like the idea of a custom Krieger barrel. I have a heavy, I mean HEAVY Kreiger 22" barrel on my .308 bolt gun, and I love it.

I did not build this rifle as a light weight built, rather I waned the balance to be toward my shoulder and not out in front of me. There have been competition stages where you have to shoot unsupported, standing. So far the Proof barrel does this for me. I will try to get a total weight on it. Now I am curious.

At 1KM, my firing solution in 'Applied Ballistics' shows I am transonic. I think calling this rifle a 2 MOA - 3 MOA shooter at 1KM is a safe call at that point. Hopefully this will be the extreme range in 'PRS Gas Gun Series' and the 'Rifleman's' Team Challenge' matches. I suspect, the targets at the extreme ranges of a match will be sized a bit more generously.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    Nice rifle. 1k is rough with 5.56. Beyond 600 is tough in my book. I'm interested in your results with this barrel.
    As far as 1KM accuracy goes. I have not shot paper at that distance, in fact I have only shot paper at 100 yards, so I do not know for sure how it groups beyond that. I have shot a 24" steel plate at 1KM with decent results. I would say 6 or 7 hits out of 10 shots. My first match is in February, that will be the true test. So far shooting at distance has been geared to truing my data in 'Applied Ballistics'.

My primary use for this rifle is competition. So far everything I have read, and videos I have watched for the 'PRS Gas Gun Series' matches, people should be OK with a 1 MOA or 1.5 MOA gun. In the video linked above, they say that 25% of the targets will be 2 MOA or smaller. I hope they are not too much smaller, or at extreme distances.
    I am just a regular guy, trying not to screw things up too much.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenromeo View Post
    consistent performance at 1,000 from a 5.56 gas gun? I know it is possible, but just not very common, so I am impressed! Nice looking rifle with great parts too, well done
    Agreed. Not sure he intends to shoot out to 1K but that would be an impressive shot for sure.

OP: Beautiful rifle! Congrats on a great build. I'd sure love to hear how it does at longer ranges.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Word. OP keep us updated on that BCG. I want one for my Noveske but I haven't heard the best thing about RCA. I'd hope those are solid since they have the Noveske logo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm at ~3K through mine. So far so good.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by irondude View Post
    Eurodriver, I read your complete build project after i built this rifle with great interest. You really thought through the details of your build with a specific goal in mind. Plus it looks like you are having a ton of fun shooting it.

I like the idea of a custom Krieger barrel. I have a heavy, I mean HEAVY Kreiger 22" barrel on my .308 bolt gun, and I love it.

I did not build this rifle as a light weight built, rather I waned the balance to be toward my shoulder and not out in front of me. There have been competition stages where you have to shoot unsupported, standing. So far the Proof barrel does this for me. I will try to get a total weight on it. Now I am curious.

At 1KM, my firing solution in 'Applied Ballistics' shows I am transonic. I think calling this rifle a 2 MOA - 3 MOA shooter at 1KM is a safe call at that point. Hopefully this will be the extreme range in 'PRS Gas Gun Series' and the 'Rifleman's' Team Challenge' matches. I suspect, the targets at the extreme ranges of a match will be sized a bit more generously.

As far as 1KM accuracy goes. I have not shot paper at that distance, in fact I have only shot paper at 100 yards, so I do not know for sure how it groups beyond that. I have shot a 24" steel plate at 1KM with decent results. I would say 6 or 7 hits out of 10 shots. My first match is in February, that will be the true test. So far shooting at distance has been geared to truing my data in 'Applied Ballistics'.

My primary use for this rifle is competition. So far everything I have read, and videos I have watched for the 'PRS Gas Gun Series' matches, people should be OK with a 1 MOA or 1.5 MOA gun. In the video linked above, they say that 25% of the targets will be 2 MOA or smaller. I hope they are not too much smaller, or at extreme distances.
    You guys are so much better than me. I'm pretty good out to 600 but fall apart on my way out to 800.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    You guys are so much better than me. I'm pretty good out to 600 but fall apart on my way out to 800.
    I doubt that is true, building this rifle was fun, having it work and shoot well still amazes me.

PS - Your website and photos are awesome.
    I am just a regular guy, trying not to screw things up too much.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Schweet!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by irondude View Post
    I doubt that is true, building this rifle was fun, having it work and shoot well still amazes me.

PS - Your website and photos are awesome.
    Thanks but not mine. I'm just promoting it because I think it's cool and I'm an aviation geek.

Regarding the shooting, I'm very inconsistent beyond about 650 yards. Could be equipment / ammo related but I'm probably the weakest link in that chain. I need to spend more time shooting but it's about 3 hours one way for me get to the place where I can shoot long range.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Wow, irondude, I just looked at this thread for the first time and that is one heck of a rifle. I've seen a lot of Proof barrels on precision bolt guns, but I have never even considered one for an AR in 5.56. Nice.
    "I don't just want gun rights... I want individual liberty, a culture of self-reliance....I want the whole bloody thing." - Kim du Toit

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast