Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brownells .308 Barrels by Satern

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AR-n-Ky View Post
    Though I don't have any experience with the .308 and I never owned a Saturn barrel, there are a few running them in NRA Service Rifle, match rifle (in both AR15 platform and bolt action) and they seem to perform well.

To the extent that I was thinking of using one for a Precision build.

I use a Krieger Barrel on my service rifle. It is excellent. After seeing two of the Saturn's single point cut rifling perform, I thought that I would give them a try myself.
    To be fair, lots of folks are having good results with the Satern 308s. I just had a couple of bad experiences in the Grendel and won't use them again. There are plenty of high end barrels to choose from: Bartlein, Kreiger, Rock Creek, Lilja, Proof, etc. I'd pick (and regularly do) any of those first, but again I'm biased at this point.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warg View Post
    To be fair, lots of folks are having good results with the Satern 308s. I just had a couple of bad experiences in the Grendel and won't use them again. There are plenty of high end barrels to choose from: Bartlein, Kreiger, Rock Creek, Lilja, Proof, etc. I'd pick (and regularly do) any of those first, but again I'm biased at this point.
    What happened with your Grendel barrel? You mentioned you had issues with two of them, but what specifically?
    Last edited by Marlin 795; 02-11-17 at 00:03.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hk_shootr View Post
    I wouldn't touch Alexander Arms with a ten foot pole. Why blame the parts supplier when the "assembler" is to blame.
    Cheap barrels produce poor results on target
    Which tells me you are unfamiliar with the grendel Satern barrel history.

Many people had issues that boiled down to short throats from either worn or out of spec tooling.

And many (most) experienced it direct from Satern. Granted, much of it was in their economy barrel brand, but it crossed over into their cut rifle barrels. A short/improper throat is a problem in any grade of barrel. Especially for Grendel where the compound throat is a big part of the cartridge's flexibility.

How Satern handled the situations, and their public communications was pretty bad.

I'd not buy a barrel from them now unless it was $200 or less with a sub moa warranty. And someone other than Satern was selling them, as they have a history of being very slow to ship.

My AA experiences, on the other hand have been nothing but great. I know of cases when they fixed another mfg product which was missold as an AA, gratis.

Many better options than Satern for the money.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Many better options than Satern for the money.
    What do you think are better at the same (or cheaper) price point?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12