Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Remington 700 barrel?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Greg at Bugholes built my 338 and it hammers with the big Berger. Don't short cut your barrel or glass.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    You can look at Southern Precision aka Bugholes.com for buying barrels and parts for building your guns. These guys may also do work. I would shop around to get your barrel done.

PB
    Quote Originally Posted by majohnson View Post
    Greg at Bugholes built my 338 and it hammers with the big Berger. Don't short cut your barrel or glass.
    Thanks guys, I'll check them out. Rebarrelling was put on hold for now. I definitely subscribe to the one is none theory and this R700 was my only bolt action currently. Rather than wait on the issue with this rifle to be figured out and fixed by Remington and/or a different gunsmith, I decided to pick up another R700. This one in 7mm Rem Mag with the B&C M40 stock. Should work nicely to fix my itch to shoot over 1k consistently. Once I get the other rifle back, I think I'll upgrade it then, true the action etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm in the process of having my Rem 700 AACSD rebarreled/blueprinted with a Hawk Hill.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson1911 View Post
    If you want the best, just buy a bartlein. I have some kreigers on other guns, but only because I bought them that way. Every time I rebarrel is a bart hands down.

I did skim your other thread. If your action is stock, you might as well have it trued up while he is in there. Its only about 160 more anyway. I good smith can true your action to shoot just as good as a custom. They just don't feel as nice.

I would think in sin city there would be a good smith to use. If you can't find one, pm me and I will give you a number to my local shop. Since your having to mail it back and forth I would say 3 weeks.
    ^^This

OP there is no reason not to have your action trued if you're already getting it re-barreled. I'd also look into increasing your scope mount from #6 to #8 hardware also. Good luck getting a 4 week turn around.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wilson1911 View Post
    If you want the best, just buy a bartlein. I have some kreigers on other guns, but only because I bought them that way. Every time I rebarrel is a bart hands down.

I did skim your other thread. If your action is stock, you might as well have it trued up while he is in there. Its only about 160 more anyway. I good smith can true your action to shoot just as good as a custom. They just don't feel as nice.

I would think in sin city there would be a good smith to use. If you can't find one, pm me and I will give you a number to my local shop. Since your having to mail it back and forth I would say 3 weeks.
    What makes you say Bart is better than Krieger? Objectively speaking?

I have owned 2 Krieger barrels; one on a 5.56 AR that shoots sub MOA groups at 600 yards (see the precision semi auto forum) , and another in .308 on a trued R700 receiver that was a laser beam as well. I'm a fan, but no fan boy so if Bart does it better I'm all ears.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Good question Euro, something I have wondered as well seeing as Krieger are well regarded by some locals I know.

To update, I'm still no closer to having bought a barrel as I dropped the barrel money on another R700 (long action this time). The original R700 is still in flux but that's for another thread. Suffice to say, I got antsy with no bolt gun to shoot 😂 Good news though is I found a local Smith that was referred to me by a couple of people from a shooting team and is widely used by a lot of the local long range precision competitive types.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Before I say anything else, it is the gunsmith who spins up the barrel, who is and will always remain king. If he does not do a good job, nothing else matters.

Kreiger and Bartlein use different methods to cut their rifling. Both have pro's and cons. From what I have seen, the button rifled crowd is smaller tho. Most guys here shoot long, but no benchrest comps are here.

My current 6x47L Kreiger barrel runs @ 2900 with 105's. Any more speed and I get pressure. It is a very accurate barrel tho. It will literally make one hole if you take your time to aim, or bang them out and it makes a clover leaf every time. But who wants to a 6 that only runs 2900 ? The barrel also gets fouled rather quickly. I have to use sweets and a carbon cleaner after about 60 rounds thru it. I have cast the chamber and tried several different loads, but its just a slow barrel. It is possible that the IMR 4451 just shoots dirty, but I have not found any others who had fouling problems.When all the guys next to you are running ~3150, its irritating.

Bartlein on the other hand shoots just as good and it only takes me 15 minutes to clean the barrel with eliminator. I have not had one that is hard to clean yet. I can go much higher round counts between cleanings and very little fouling comes out. I just re-barreled to a 6.5x47L pushing berger 130's @ 2970. I get about another 50 fps with varget over H4350 with no heavy compression.

You could say that I have had better luck with bart's, which I would agree. Since I normally burn out 2 barrels a year, it matters. There are many guys shooting different barrels from the top company's. Everyone's luck is a bit different tho. Also, the cartridge you are shooting will make some difference. The 47's are finicky on powder charge as well as the berger vld's. In my creedmoor, I find the seating depth with ELD's and powder charge more forgiving.

All my brass is neck turned lapua running about 1.5 thou neck tension. I seat bullets with an arbor press/wilson die's. My SD's are in the 4's usually. I shoot steel out to 1400 as a hobby along with some local matches.

Out of my last 7 barrels, 2 were kreigers and 5 were barts. I would recommend Bartlein barrels to any of you. For the guy who laughed at my turn around times. One barrel was done in 4 days and the other 40, which was dropped off during hunting season so I was not in a hurry.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dhena81 View Post
    Good luck getting a 4 week turn around.
    How does that saying go??? You can have GOOD, FAST, and CHEAP... pick any two.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have a couple of both and would never say one is better than the other. At that quality level they would be neck and neck IMHO. And other factors would play into your laser beam. i.e. Bedding, glass, action , stock in shooting half , qtr or bugholes in determining what was better. Whatever barrel shooters use and win top matches often times effects popular opinion.

Just my .02

Oh and guys on a budget, my gunsmith buys Walther Lothar barrels and has had great luck. And he loves the two aforementioned debated tubes.

PB

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    What makes you say Bart is better than Krieger? Objectively speaking?

I have owned 2 Krieger barrels; one on a 5.56 AR that shoots sub MOA groups at 600 yards (see the precision semi auto forum) , and another in .308 on a trued R700 receiver that was a laser beam as well. I'm a fan, but no fan boy so if Bart does it better I'm all ears.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    How does that saying go??? You can have GOOD, FAST, and CHEAP... pick any two.
    Wilson has a great local shop.

They built my gun in about 2-3 weeks and it is already a shooter with less then 100 rounds through the barrel it's already shooting clover leafs. (Gun shot that not me lol)

I am still working up the perfect load for the 6.5 cm so it will only get better.

The gun is a bartlien 1/8 medium Palma, defiance Deviant, and a manners T6A.

I mailed all of my parts in a box and they put it together. Also were cheaper then most for the work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast