Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Colt Cobra...is back!

Feedback Score
    Asking the experts. Airweight J frame like a 442 is what 18 oz loaded? (340s obviously lighter still). How heavy is too heavy before pocket carry (pants or coat) doesn't work? I remember looking years ago at small DA/SA 380s/9s and nothing was under 20oz.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Correct, 17-18oz loaded. I think the J-frame is about perfect, I imagine the Cobra will be around 28-29 loaded. The airweight J-frame is on the bleeding edge of tolerability so I doubt the Cobra is a candidate. It would be, however, the perfect holster gun. Hopefully they can get it down to about 20 or so with the sure to come lightweight Cobra.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    I definitely need the new Cobra to keep these bad boys company. My 1964 Python and 1970 Colt Lawman III. I had Patrick Grasshorn make the Stag grips about 6 years ago. He does exceptional work. I would keep the Cobra stock as is.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I think that if Colt produced a DAO variant on this model, with a 3" barrel and a bobbed hammer, they would sell a lot of them. The user-replaceable front sight is a great idea, I'm excited about that.

If you look for what a used S&W 3" K or L frame is going for these days, Colt could make a very good return on such a pistol. I see those things going for $800 or more all the time.
    I have a 3" M13-2, one of my favorite pistols. Very shootable, I used to carry it and I used it to good effect in IDPA competition. I would be very interested in a 3" Cobra, the gun S&W should still make.

Edit: I do understand that Colt makes the Cobra, not S&W. I think S&W should still make a 3" K frame with updated sights.
    Last edited by 1986s4; 01-11-17 at 09:24.

Feedback Score
    Damn I'm glad to see this this, LOVE THE DICK SPL, carried one for years,, now if some one will just bring back the shroud!!!!!
    "A shot never fired is always a miss"

Feedback Score
    Thanks Greg. So with the weight being what it is, this is really more like a take on a stainless DS (or DS II I guess) than a Cobra...but the name is less popular so Colt is calling it a Cobra instead?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So what's the DA like? In the day S&W's DA was the one to beat, and it still matters. Years ago I could have had a Mark III Trooper for nothing, and declined. From a look at the new Cobra's geometry, I wouldn't expect it to be much different from the old, old ones--which weren't very good.

Not that it matters at this late date.
    Mala striga deleta est. (The wicked witch is finished.)

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I have played with two in the shop and they both had superb triggers. I'm seriously considering turning in my crappy Sigg 320 in trade. I wish it had a boot grip option.

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Is it a round butt? If so just have patience. I'm sure Hogue or VZ will make a nice round butt boot grip in G10 soon.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast