Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feed Ramp Wear

Feedback Score

Feed Ramp Wear

Good Day,

I just wanted to get some opinions on this wear I noticed while cleaning.

The upper receiver, below the receiver feed ramps, has these wear marks. They can be felt with a plastic pick.

Are these anything to worry about?
    Should I change mags?
    Can these be caused by trying to charge a magazine that is not fully seated (lower than normal causing the rounds to jam against the receiver).

Will these shorten the life of this receiver? This particular one cannot easily, if at all, be replaced.

Round count is just over 3000, mostly m855.

I apologize for the photo.

I appreciate your time!

m4carbFR.jpg
    Last edited by Whisker; 12-31-16 at 19:36.

Feedback Score
    I'd say don't worry about it unless you're getting malfunctions.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Something doesn't look right.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    hmmm, maybe I'll see what the distributor says. They are the POC for this company. If anyone else has opinions or needs more details to form an opinion, let me know,

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Lock a few of your loaded mags into the gun and see where the tip of the bullet is pointed. The bullets shouldn't be pointing at those white spot, but toward the steel ramps. If they are pointing toward the spots, try a different lower. If a different lower points right, maybe your lower is jacked. If you know and have tried all this, my apologies.

Feedback Score
    TomMcC,
    appreciate, will try it ,

Feedback Score
    OK, so a loaded a magpul dummy round and tried it in one of the magazines I use.
    I even pulled slightly down on the front end of it to exacerbate the tilt.

It fed right into the upper portion of the upper feed ramps.

Could that wear just be from a one time or a few instances of charging a mag that wasn't fully inserted?

Anything to be concerned with?

The company is not one to be suspect at all.

Feedback Score
    What would concern me is that both sides seem relatively even in their wear as if it has happened more than once and on both sides which may indicate it wasn't just a once or twice occurrence of a mag not inserted fully.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Well, you got the marks on both sides, so it's happening from both sides of the mag. I doubt an unlocked mag would even feed. The bolt wouldn't pick up top the round. If you have some aluminum black, touch them up or maybe use a sharpie. Then the next time you go shooting, load one, pull the mag and eject the round. See if anything happened. If not, load one from a loaded mag (have more in the mag) and fire it. Pull the mag and check again. If all is well try 2,3,4 and so forth. If nothing happens, check once in a while.

Some times with pistols a weak mag spring can cause nose dives, but looking at an AR it's nearly impossible to get the bullet tips that low on the upper. The front of the mag pretty much covers that area.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 12-31-16 at 19:28.

Feedback Score
    If the problem does not repeat and the black does not wear off do you foresee any problems with long term use of this upper?

I don't care one bit about cosmetic issues, but if this can lead to something else, then I'd like to do something about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast