Thread: Thinking of 458 or 450... Need help!!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Thinking of 458 or 450... Need help!!!

Hey folks, I'm thinking about filling a gap. I'm sure this has been widely discussed but it's new to me.
    The 5.56 Colt & FN, then the Ruger Scout in .308, then ???
    Sold my Marlin 45/70 (I loved the cartridge), so I'm looking to step up in the AR platform to something similar.
    Seems the choice is between 458 SOCOM and 450 Bushmaster... ?? Please help an old dog learn new tricks... THANKS!
    "Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    What do you want it to do? Is there a specific game animal, that you plan to hunt, which the .308 is inadequate for, or do you simply want to know each shot costs more than $1?

Hopefully you reload because none of the megabore AR cartridges have plentiful or cheap ammo.

Feedback Score
    I have been looking into the 458 as well. I think it would not be too bad if one reloads. Yes it is an expensive round but it is an interesting concept to have in a AR 15 sized rifle. You do have more more bullet options with the 458 versus the handgun bullet options of the 450. For me though living where I do and due to recent changes to magazine laws, the 30 rnd 5.56 magazine now becomes a legal 10 rnd magazine. That is the main driver for me to acquire a 458 upper.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PrarieDog View Post
    I have been looking into the 458 as well. I think it would not be too bad if one reloads. Yes it is an expensive round but it is an interesting concept to have in a AR 15 sized rifle. You do have more more bullet options with the 458 versus the handgun bullet options of the 450. For me though living where I do and due to recent changes to magazine laws, the 30 rnd 5.56 magazine now becomes a legal 10 rnd magazine. That is the main driver for me to acquire a 458 upper.
    Thanks.
    That's been some of my thinking too. I'd really like to go big (Can you say .416 Rigby? ) but the need is no longer there, so I want to stay with the AR platform.
    I don't want a separate rig, so an extra upper in 458 is what I'm thinking.

I'm just looking to round out my arsenal a bit... If and when the SHTF I'd like to have some options. 5.56/.308/458?
    2 handguns will go, but which rifle accompanies me into the field? Will I need range? Accuracy? Stopping power?
    3 choices I'm thinking, and the 458 seems to slip right in that slot. But I could be totally wrong headed in my thinking, hence the post...
    Of course none of this will likely happen, and, in that case my 'arsenal' will go to the closest neighbor...
    I'm still trying to work this out...but, many thanks for the replies...
    "Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I have a 458 10.5 in and I love it. If you want one you really have to reload. It has a wide bullet selection from 250 to 600 grains. The brass is made by Starline and is readily available with 68 cents ea being the best price I've found. Lots of different powers to choose from with Lil Gun being a favorite. There is a 458 forum that you can go to for lots of great information. I highly recommend Tromix for your barrel/bolt or upper.

Feedback Score
    I have a .458 SOCOM upper from Tromix.

The main difference between the two rounds is the .450 Bushmaster uses handgun (.452") bullets at about 2200fps and 40000 PSI, while the SOCOM uses rifle (.458") bullets at ~2200fps at 35000 PSI.

If you want to hunt big game with it, get the .458 SOCOM as the variety of hunting bullets available is greater. If you're just going to plink or hunt medium game, get the .450 Bushmaster as .452" bullets are less expensive in large quantities..

To get the most out of either round, you should reload.

mbogo

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    With plans of building a .458 Socom Upper I purchased a Wilson .458 upper receiver...it's new in box and I'd be willing to take a slight hit on it just to get it gone as I opted not to go this route and got into reloading instead...it hasn't been listed in the EE and it doesn't sound like you're looking to build but I figured I'd let you know just in case you're interested. PM me if you're interested and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Many thanks for the heads up on the Wilson Upper. That might be a bit out of my price range right now... I'm still puttin things together for the next step... I'm a bit cautious in my old age... All the best...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I went with the .450 Bushmaster. I just bought a factory bushmaster upper. I bought it due to the fact that I can now use it in my shotgun zone. I took my first small buck with it this year. The rifle shoots 1-1.25 MOA at 100 yards and I am confident to 250. I couldnt be happier.

I dont know if Indiana has the same restrictions or not, but I know you can hunt with the 308 now. (lucky)

Feedback Score
    FYI, RRA has a 20% off shot show special through tomorrow evening. Drops the price below what Tromix charges for a 458 socom.