Thread: S&W 638

Feedback Score

S&W 638

A couple of years ago I picked up a S&W 638. I don't see or read much about them and I am wondering how they stack up to other J frames? Why are they not very popular?
    Retired Army Infantry

Feedback Score
    I own a 638 & a 438 ( the discontinued "black" version) & I agree. I don't see why they are not more popular. It seems the preference is for the 442. I think the 638's have a smoother & lighter trigger pull & it's bonus is that it can be cocked for a single action more precise shot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have owned several over the years, both steel(649) and alloy like yours. Currently I have the 638. As most know, the user has the choice of cocking the hammer for single action fire or using the double action option. The shrouded hammer, of course, prevents snagging. This model has slightly more bulk because the frame forms part of the hammer shroud. It lacks the streamlined look of the hammerless J frames, which have become trendy. I never met a J frame that I didn't like and have all of the variations. Yours is a fine handgun. If they aren't popular, one reason might be what is and is not a current trend; another might be that gun writers are talking about other variations; dealers may not be ordering them as frequently as other models; and many younger shooters may not be aware of their existence.
    Enjoy yours, and if you shoot it well and have confidence in it, then keep your 638.

Feedback Score
    I definitely like the shrouded hammer and the ability to shoot single or double action. I think it's a fine little revolver so I always wondered why nobody talked about it. I do wish it had better sights or the ability to change the front sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Retired Army Infantry

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I love the old humpback smiths, have a 649 sitting on my desk at home. if they made the 638 without the stupid lock I'd get one to carry as a backup.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I had an older 49 I liked a lot but my dad talked me out of it, the dirty rat.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!