Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thought experiment: let's design the most complicated pistol possible

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    how about make it gas operated rotating bolt like a Desert Eagle?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    No, I'm thinking something like a hi-point where you need a damn punch to take apart. Or a proprietary tool.
    Like a PK380...let's make it take a key to turn to disassemble it.

And make it out of plastic so it wears out. And tiny so it's easy to lose.

And go one step further, require you to use the same key to engage the lock next to the trigger, then use it to disassemble.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirectTo View Post
    Like a PK380...let's make it take a key to turn to disassemble it.

And make it out of plastic so it wears out. And tiny so it's easy to lose.

And go one step further, require you to use the same key to engage the lock next to the trigger, then use it to disassemble.
    And keyed to each gun so that you have to send it to the factory to have them make a new one every time it wears out or you lose it. And refuse to sell extras.

You know we aren't just designing a complicated handgun, we are designing some piss poor CS and business models too.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Most mechanically complicated or most features that don't actually add much (or any) value?

I mean, you could design a semi-auto wheellock pistol that'd be extremely complicated...
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Make it not ambi, then add a bad lever type contraption to have ambi controls.

Have an rds, laser, IR, and white light, all with integrated buttons... plus a button for battery compartment.

Have a binary trigger on there.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Roller locked, yes, but also has a tilting-barrel lock a la Browning and a locking block like a Beretta, BUT ALSO, gas-retarded like the Desert Eagle. This is adjustable with a special three-sided wrench that fits nothing else in the whole wide world. Except the grip screws. Said wrench stows neatly under the grips. There is only one wrench with the gun.

There is a crossbolt safety in addition to a 1911ish thumb safety plus one on the slide like a Beretta. And a pivoting thingy on the hammer you can swing in or out of alignment with the firing pin. It has no detent, there's a tiny wave washer in there so it stays where you put it sometimes.

And you'd best be wearing the special magnetic ring if you want it to shoot after you've pressed your thumbs on the print-reading pads on the grips. Plural. Left thumb on the right grip, right thumb on the left grip. But with the gun upside down so it ain't pointed at you, that would be unsafe.

Gotta stop, I'm making myself feel sick

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    If you remember the Bren 10, it was DA/SA (but no decocker), thumb safety AND a cross bolt safety. And a little adjust screw on the grip to allow the magazine to either drop free upon pushing the magazine release button or not drop free/only drops about 1/2".

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    OK, feeling a little better....

Mercury-filled two-piece full length guide rod. Screws together in the middle, but to keep it from coming unscrewed at the wrong time.there's a little spring-loaded plunger that falls into..... oops, here it comes again

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    VP9 style grip panels rear and side. However, each is retained by two very, very soft screws, beautifully finished and blued but made from the least rust resistant metal known to man.

VP9 Rear Cocking wings.

Striker fired (it's all the rage) but striker bushing is removable like the P7--but only with tool sold separately.

Accessory rail using the original Steyr M9 pattern.

Disassembly requires pulling the trigger with striker channel tool inserted and being turned counter-clockwise.

Super mega long slide release levers so you need to change your grip around to have any chance of not locking the slide back.

Trigger needs to be on roller bearings like the Colt All American 200o--but with adjustable pull weight from 12 pounds to 15 pounds.

Grip safety is travel adjustable (requires disassembly...the slightest error deactivates gun.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Trigger needs to be on roller bearings like the Colt All American 200o--but with adjustable pull weight from 12 pounds to 15 pounds.
    And that still wouldn't meet NYPD minimal. Take it up to 20-28 pounds. But make sure the sights are ultra fine target types too, since it has to be for bullseye shooting.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast