Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting Range in Vegas sharing info on what works and what doesn't...

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Is "QPQ Nitirte" the same as melonite with regards to barrel treatment?
    NC

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    Is "QPQ Nitirte" the same as melonite with regards to barrel treatment?
    NC
    Yes. There are tons of variances of them (all trade marked). It is my understanding that these barrels might be plasma nitrided and done in Germany. This would make sense as the Europeans have so many rules about chemicals and such.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Montrala
    No factory treatment on MR barrels (both US and Euro market). Confirmed at factory.
    Source: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk416-hk4...ml#post1626005

Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    MR556 barrels are imported as blanks and finished in GA. HK MR556 rifles are assembled in NH. No one nitrides blanks. The MR556 is not nitrided. My source of information is HK.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 01-03-17 at 14:44.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I visited Battlefield last year and I probably could have made 10x videos with all the information the armorers and Ron told me. I made a video covering some of the most asked about weapons but just didn't have time to go through all the weapons that I saw.

Great place to visit though with an equally awesome staff. As a side note---->seemingly every employee there made a point to tell me (when Ron was nowhere nearby) that Ron was a great guy to work for and genuinely gave a crap about their welfare----that says a lot to me.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    What is funny is that I read another thread by Montrala saying that inside of the barrel was finished. I also have info from my HK rep stating that they are.

If we remove that info for a moment, a non-finished CMV barrel (no CL or melonite) will not keyhole in 10,000rds. Nor will a SS barrel. Also, a CMV barrel that is none finished will rust if you aren't super cautious. So they for sure have a protective coating on them.

We also have a long time span here. Could HK have changed what they do in either Germany or where these barrels are finished in the US? Yeah, I think so. This would be why there are answers all over the place.

For me, I will stick with what my LE rep advised and just my knowledge about key holing and at what round counts it "typically" happens.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 01-03-17 at 15:00.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrgunsngear View Post
    I visited Battlefield last year and I probably could have made 10x videos with all the information the armorers and Ron told me. I made a video covering some of the most asked about weapons but just didn't have time to go through all the weapons that I saw.

Great place to visit though with an equally awesome staff. As a side note---->seemingly every employee there made a point to tell me (when Ron was nowhere nearby) that Ron was a great guy to work for and genuinely gave a crap about their welfare----that says a lot to me.
    Cool. The simple fact that Ron takes the time to share data is awesome. Because you know that when he crushes someones "baby" that he must get hate mail for weeks.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    If we remove that info for a moment, a non-finished CMV barrel (no CL or melonite) will not keyhole in 10,000rds. Nor will a SS barrel. Also, a CMV barrel that is none finished will rust if you aren't super cautious. So they for sure have a protective coating on them.
    Do you know if they actually use 4150 CMV for their barrels? Or if it's even in the CMV family? This would suggest to me that at the very least, it's not 4140/4150 CMV:

Quote Originally Posted by G3Kurz
    The barrel steel used by HK GmbH is provided to them by Aubert & Duval. It is based on decades of close coordination between HK and A&D. The proprietary "recipe" is known by only a few of those in the "technique" (technical) departments at HK GmbH. 20 years with HK and involved in many projects that pushed HK barrels to and beyond reasonable limits (MK23, MP5/10, G11, HK416, etc.) and that recipe (there are various ones for various applications) was never shared with me - no need. The bottom line was it was selected to provide the performance and safety that HK barrels are renowned for in worst case scenarios. I have posted many, many times here about industry leading performance of HK CHF barrels made from this steel. 2-4 times the service life of HK-made M134 MiniGun, HK416, HK GPMG, M27 IAR, etc barrels over the very best made elsewhere to include those employing stellite liners. It would be a major mistake for HK or A&D to share that/those proprietary steel(s) with anyone without an absolute need to know.
    Source: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk416-hk4...ml#post1547395

At the end of the day, while quite interesting, I personally see no reason to take this anecdote as being indicative of anything.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 06-08-17 at 15:06.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Interesting. More industry marketing BS shown to be what it is by actual usage data. Gotta love that! I guess my Noveske CHF double thick chrome lined barrels are indeed better!!
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Do you know if they actually use 4150 CMV for their barrels? Or if it's even in the CMV family? This would suggest to me that at the very least, it's not 4140/4150 CMV:

Source: http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk416-hk4...ml#post1547395

At the end of the day, while quite interesting, I personally see no reason to take this anecdote as being indicative of anything.
    I am pretty sure they are using better barrel steel.

Vickers reported to me that Delta has 416's with well over 20,000rds on them and they still hold good groups. Those barrels are also chrome lined.

C4

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It seems hypocritical to me that everyone is so quick to jump to conclusions based on a report of one example. And no one seems to even have accurate facts on that example. There seems to be conflicting reports about the barrel steel and whether or not it is treated/coated on the mr556.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast