Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: USGI mags outlast all others

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    What do they mean when they say outlast? What about more reliable? Or more durable? If by outlast they mean handling hundreds of cycles of reloading and emptying the mag before the mag becomes unserviceable then thats only one metric to look at. If you are operating out of a pristine indoor range where you have rows of benches and tables where mags are lightly handled then that maybe thats the only metric that matters. Personally Id rather have a mag that feeds reliably when clean or dirty, resistant to impact damage and rough handling and that has a reasonable service life. If the pmag feeds more reliably due to its feed geometry and is more impact resistant but loses out to the USGI in service life then so be it, Id still rather have the pmag.
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 01-04-17 at 21:08.

Feedback Score
    Does anyone have any experience with Beretta steel mags? I got 6 of them with my ARX100. Aside from the thick coating of grease, they seems pretty nice. They do have a metal follower though. I have lancer mags for 300blk, a mix of d&h and brownells for 5.56.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Brownells consumer "USGI" magazines are factory rejects from the DOD contract line.

Buy a Brownells magazines and compare it next to a Colt/Okay magazine.

The fitment between the floorplate and body has a large gap on the Brownells magazine. The overall workmanship on the Brownells magazine is less.
    I've had some Brownell's mags that are pretty wild. They do run, but the stampings are all over.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I think I have some Dirty Sanchez's somewhere. Only like 3 or 4. I upgraded the followers and springs to make them work.
    Get some of those Coopers if you want some real poopers!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    delete - double tap

Feedback Score
    Some legitimate concerns raised...I guess the best thing would be to take them up with Ron at Henderson Defense on that thread on TOS.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/6...our-range.html

I think Ron was just talking about GI mags lasting longer than any others in terms of use in the firearms. I don't think anyone would argue that a polymer mag is as likely to dent as an aluminum mag.

My take: He is saying that USGI mags last the longest in actual use, ignoring other things such as operator abuse and lack of maintenance. Or at least that's how I interpreted his statement.

"Take care of your mags and they will take care of you" seems appropriate here.

EDITED TO ADD:

Here's what he says on that thread about "mag abuse" at his place of business:

The customers don't drop the mags but the mag loaders and the RSO's definitely do. I've tried to implement ways to lesson the abuse but at average cost of $10 per magazine, it's hard to change the procedures in order to keep things moving. The RSO's will dump their mags into a bucket if they are with a group or larger party. The mag loaders will load the mags and if they don't have a cart to load them onto, they dump from table top height (4ft tall loading bench) into a 5-gallon bucket on the ground.

We really don't have a set maintenance for mags because most of them don't give us problems. The RSO's will check magazines first (after they finish with a customer) before they take a weapon back for malfunction issues. The AR an AK factory metal mags just run like champs but once in awhile if a magazine was used on a suppressed weapon it does cause carbon to build up. The guys will take them apart, run a few rag through, squeeze some oil, wipe it dry and put it back on the line.

To be fair about the Pmags, they have replaced all the broken mags we have returned to them. It's not like we break them everyday but when they do break, it's usually at the back of the magazine or near the rear portion of the feed lips. The Magpul G36 mags are rock solid and we yet to break one of those in over two and half years.
    Last edited by Doc Safari; 01-04-17 at 23:53.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    Brownells consumer "USGI" magazines are factory rejects from the DOD contract line.
    Can you give us a source for that info?

The only reason that I ask is, damn, that is a lot of rejects. I have over 80 of the little rejected devils, and I'm sure other folks were buying them just as rapidly as I was.

Feedback Score
    I think I have some Dirty Sanchez's somewhere. Only like 3 or 4. I upgraded the followers and springs to make them work.
    Back in the early to mid 80's, we didn't have the luxury of replacing springs and followers with upgrades. If we found a turd magazine, it never went back in the pile or the problem "diagnosed"...it was destroyed. Sanchez Enterprises was one that we eliminated without much discussion. The exceptions were ones that ended up in the trunk of some NCO's Buick and made it to the surplus joints down the road off base.

I have heard that Center Industries of Wichita, KS produced a problematic mag, but I never had a single failure with one. I think they're still a DOD contractor.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I hear ya, since I entered into service in the mid 80's myself. Unfortunately, in my unit the Supply Sgt. acted as if he paid for mags out his retirement fund, so if you were fortunate to catch him on the day he would allow mag turn-ins, they would go into locker. Your replacement wasn't guaranteed to be new.

Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    Back in the early to mid 80's, we didn't have the luxury of replacing springs and followers with upgrades. If we found a turd magazine, it never went back in the pile or the problem "diagnosed"...it was destroyed. Sanchez Enterprises was one that we eliminated without much discussion. The exceptions were ones that ended up in the trunk of some NCO's Buick and made it to the surplus joints down the road off base.

Parson's absorbed Adventureline which was then scooped up by Center Industries as I recall. Centerlines' deal was they employed disabled persons and paid them the same as other workers. Not sure what their current status is. I know they laid off a significant amount of people a few years back. They were specifically making weapons stuff (assuming magazines).

I have heard that Center Industries of Wichita, KS produced a problematic mag, but I never had a single failure with one. I think they're still a DOD contractor.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

USGI mags outlast all others

I hear ya, since I entered into service in the mid 80's myself. Unfortunately, in my unit the Supply Sgt. acted as if he paid for mags out his retirement fund, so if you were fortunate to catch him on the day he would allow mag turn-ins, they would go into locker. Your replacement wasn't guaranteed to be new.
    I came in about the same time and I think every single single time I needed anything from the Supply Sergeant they acted like it was coming out of their own pocket. I fourth it was something they taught them in AIT. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 01-05-17 at 06:05.
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast