Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elk hunting

Feedback Score

Elk hunting

A buddy and I are planning to go on Elk hunting. We live in Arkansas and we're thinking Colorado. Any advice on there or somewhere else. Any info on a rifle or round size. Any information would be great thanks.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Colorado has some great places to Elk hunt. I would start by poking around the Colorado DOW website. There is some good info on units and where to start. Unless your putting in for a specific unit in the limited draw, a OTC bull tag is probably easiest to just pick up if you don't have your plan set here in the next few months. Your out of state tags will be 450-650 bucks pending if you get a cow or bull tag. Getting more and more expensive each year.

30-06 at a minimum. 7mm Mag or 300 win mag are better coice for Colorado IMO.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Also, are you planning to camp? Hotel? With the amount of pressure some of these 0 point and OTC units get, you made need to get miles off the path to get into some good animals.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Agree with the above calibers. I choose 7mm rem mag because of the flatter trajectory. Get ready for the altitude...if you've never rucked at 1 mile high it will leave you gasping and light headed in short order. Go above 10k ft and it's full on cardio if are not acclimated. You might want to factor in an extra day ahead of time just to adjust.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    Also, are you planning to camp? Hotel? With the amount of pressure some of these 0 point and OTC units get, you made need to get miles off the path to get into some good animals.
    Guess i will be camping, its half the fun an experience.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-gnARR View Post
    Agree with the above calibers. I choose 7mm rem mag because of the flatter trajectory. Get ready for the altitude...if you've never rucked at 1 mile high it will leave you gasping and light headed in short order. Go above 10k ft and it's full on cardio if are not acclimated. You might want to factor in an extra day ahead of time just to adjust.
    Got an M70 pre64 in 300win i plan on using. good to know i am covered on that.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you aren't in good physical shape, get to it....and then get in better shape.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The last 2 years ive gone 2nd season and have seen 2 elk. Last year was cow and only had a bull tag, this year was a bull and only had a cow tag. Its staying warmer, longer here. I might suggest 3rd season. I was hiking at altitudes between 9000 and 11000 ft. They will be lower if it snows.

This will be a good start to see where the elk are supposedto be. http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/i...p=HuntingAtlas
    Last edited by drift_g35; 01-06-17 at 13:35.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    If you aren't in good physical shape, get to it....and then get in better shape.
    This.. Family that comes into town from lower elevation always stay here in Denver Metro for about 5 days before we take them up. Going from 0-1000 ft, to tree line 11,800+ in some cases pending the unit and what season, is no joke. "In-shape" folks, quickly become out of shape when you hit 9000ft+.

I train for elk hunting. Like I'm going to compete for something. Two of my favorite elk hunting workouts are.. Carrying fresh cut tree logs/stumps up a hill on the back side of our property in full hunting gear, and putting weight lifting plates in my hunting pack and doing a stair stepper.

Sure, not all units are steep and tough. Unit 19 isn't bad if you want to wack a cow. Seen a few 320 bulls come out of there by friends. Same with 42 out by Rifle. Seen a few good bulls and a ton of cows in there. If you can get away from the gas rigs these days. 60 boarders one on the best units in the state.. 61. (you won't get a 61 tag FYI). There is always a chance a 300+ bull comes across the road. Ive seen a lot of guys, single day hunt, right on the side of I-70 up from Frisco and up through Vail Pass and stay in hotels in Silverthorn. No one I hunt with, but you could do it. Some decent 0 point units up by Steamboat/rabbit ears pass. Unit 15 can see some really good animals.
    Last edited by Jwknutson17; 01-07-17 at 20:49. Reason: I meant gas wells not oil...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drift_g35 View Post
    The last 2 years ive gone 2nd season and have seen 2 elk. Last year was cow and only had a bull tag, this year was a bull and only had a cow tag. Its staying warmer, longer here. I might suggest 3rd season. I was hiking at altitudes between 9000 and 11000 ft. They will be lower if it snows.

This will be a good start to see where the elk are supposedto be. http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/i...p=HuntingAtlas
    THANKS A LOT FOR THE LINK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast