Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
This.. Family that comes into town from lower elevation always stay here in Denver Metro for about 5 days before we take them up. Going from 0-1000 ft, to tree line 11,800+ in some cases pending the unit and what season, is no joke. "In-shape" folks, quickly become out of shape when you hit 9000ft+.

I train for elk hunting. Like I'm going to compete for something. Two of my favorite elk hunting workouts are.. Carrying fresh cut tree logs/stumps up a hill on the back side of our property in full hunting gear, and putting weight lifting plates in my hunting pack and doing a stair stepper.

Sure, not all units are steep and tough. Unit 19 isn't bad if you want to wack a cow. Seen a few 320 bulls come out of there by friends. Same with 42 out by Rifle. Seen a few good bulls and a ton of cows in there. If you can get away from the oil rigs these days. 60 boarders one on the best units in the state.. 61. (you won't get a 61 tag FYI). There is always a chance a 300+ bull comes across the road. Ive seen a lot of guys, single day hunt, right on the side of I-70 up from Frisco and up through Vail Pass and stay in hotels in Silverthorn. No one I hunt with, but you could do it. Some decent 0 point units up by Steamboat/rabbit ears pass. Unit 15 can see some really good animals.
This is glorious and the kind of info that those of us who travel into different western states to hunt dream of getting. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk