Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most Accurate Off the Shelf Bolt Guns

Feedback Score

Most Accurate Off the Shelf Bolt Guns

I am researching a new bolt gun and wasn't sure if there was a brand I should be looking into. The main purpose will be my main hunting rig so I'd like to keep it on the lighter side and without all the tactical features (just a sling and a bipod). I have access to some land where I can shoot around 600 yards, maybe a little more so I'd like to ring steel on occasion at those distances but it's certainly not the primary use.

I was thinking about going with a 260 Remington because I like the accuracy, ballistics, and from what I hear it's a light shooting round. I was going to go with a 6.5 CM but the 260 seems to make more sense because I reload.

As far as off the shelf rifles, which are going to be the most consistently accurate? I am currently considering a Tikka T3x because they guarantee that it will shoot 1 moa. Is there another off the shelf rifle I should consider that isn't reaching custom pricing? I don't have a budget, I'm willing to save up for something nice if it's worth it but I don't want to spend custom level money right now (I would like to keep it under $2k without optics but any money I can save on the rifle will go into optics). What I really want is not needing to worry about a lemon from a company with less than stellar quality control (aka Remington).

Feedback Score
    My Tikka 308 does that very well out of the box at 100. 6.5 CM is what a lot of my fellow club members swear by.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would take a good look at CZ-USA's line of bolt action rifles. Excellent quality for the money, and their center fire rifles come from the factory with "set" triggers. The quality of their wood stocks is also top notch.

http://cz-usa.com/news/the-cz-single...rigger-system/
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    When I was deciding what to build my varmint rifle in I looked at all sorts of chamberings including 260rem and ended up with 6.5CM even though I do reload. You give up a few grains of case capacity but gain the ability to get factory ammo at nearly any major store. Otherwise it's a wash for the most part.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I know this is for a bolt gun, but which feeds better in a semi auto platform 260 Rem or 6.5 CM? I know the 260 is a necked down .308 cartridge, so maybe it is a wash, but I am not at all familiar with the 6.5 CM.

For bolt guns, how much do you want to spend? I second the CZ, and Tikkas, but Savage has a good rep and should be less money. The new Winchester M70's are getting good reviews, but they are more money still.
    Last edited by Pilot1; 01-05-17 at 22:50.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The both ultimately derive from the old 300 savage.

300svg->30TC->6.5CM
    300svg->308win->260rem

Can't tell you what if any feed differences there are.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    And just more food for thought for the OP, Lotta people doing pretty accurate long range shooting with the $350 ruger american predator in 6.5cm

There's a YouTube video of one guy ringing steel at a mile with that rifle and a $300 swfa scope. Get that rifle, a better stock, bed it, add some nice glass and it would probably do anything you want for well under your budget.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have never read or heard of anyone badmouthing a Tikka. One of our mods here, mark5pt56, always recommends them, and he has a LOT of time behind a bolt gun. I think you are definitely on the right track with that.

I have a CZ bolt gun, and find it very accurate out of the box.

Feedback Score
    Tikka T3 is an excellent choice. Most accurate off the shelf bolt gun is Sako TRG: it is very much a different rifle, but it is made in the same factory as Tikka T3 rifles. Every TRG will shoot 0.5 MOA out of the box, and many actually shoot 0.3-0.4 MOA.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Tikka, Steyr, Savage, FN...

All are known for consistent accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "One cannot awaken a man who pretends to be asleep..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast